Site Lead – Genetics – Full Time – Flexible Shift – Toronto, ON
City : Toronto, ON, CA
Category : Laboratory Services
Industry : Healthcare
Employer : LifeLabs
LifeLabs is the largest community diagnostics laboratory in Canada, serving the healthcare needs of Canadians for over 50 years. Our team members are truly centred around our customers, and we know that behind every lab requisition, sample being tested, or investment in technology is an individual and their family counting on us.
Consistently named one of Canada's Best Employers by Forbes, LifeLabs has also been recognized for having an award-winning Mental Health Program from Benefits Canada. The passion and commitment of over 6,000 diverse and innovative team members unites and motivates us to ensure our customers receive high quality tests and results that they can trust. Agile, customer-centred, caring and teamwork: we live these values every day in what we do to support our customers and healthcare providers, driving forward our vision of empowering a healthier you.
Make a difference – join the LifeLabs team today!
At LifeLabs, we are focused on our vision of building a healthier Canada! We are the largest community diagnostics laboratory in Canada with over 350 collection centres, 16 laboratories and service over 20 million patients each year. Caring, Agile, Customer Driven, One Team - We live our values every day in what we do to help our patients and healthcare providers. With over 6000 employees, we all make a difference and that's why our people are so important to us. This is an exciting time to grow your career with us and support numerous business initiatives, innovations, best practice and business development opportunities.
Purpose of the Role: Execute tasks as directed by the Supervisor and Sr MLT, ensuring efficient workflow and optimal productivity to meet daily quality and operational goals within the Genetics technician team. Operations is defined as all activities from receiving test specimens to releasing of final reports.
- First contact for internal and external communications (SM, MedSci, logistics, QRA, CCC, vendors, clients, PHL), sample issues and resolutions, result investigations and follow-up.
- Escalates issues to Supervisor as necessary.
- Maintains efficient analytic workflows, prioritizes samples effectively, addresses bottlenecks immediately and modifies bench tasks as necessary to maintain optimal productivity.
- Manages administrative tasks relating to pre-analytic processes, KPI tracking, root cause analysis, and internal communication.
- Trains and orients new team members.
- Applies knowledge in molecular techniques and platforms, high throughput automation, and operational workflow to provide leadership to team members.
- Participates in special projects, new initiatives, KPI tracking.
- Assists Sr MLT and Supervisor in risk management activities when evaluating new processes and problem solving failed processes.
Required Education and Experience:
- Graduate degree in Molecular Genetics (preferred), College diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology, or equivalent education and experience.
- At least 2 years of recent experience with sample processing and reporting processes employed in the Genetics Lab.
- Must have theoretical and working knowledge of nucleic acid extraction and genetic specimen processing.
- Experienced with administrative and operational processes used at LifeLabs for genetic testing.
At LifeLabs, we strive to create an inclusive and equitable workplace where our team members and the communities we serve feel accepted, valued, and respected.
In accordance with LifeLabs’ Accessibility Policy, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and the Ontario Human Rights Code, accommodations are available by request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. For a confidential inquiry or to request an accommodation, please contact your recruiter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
LifeLabs is committed to providing a safe environment for our employees, customers, and the communities we serve. We have been a leader throughout the COVID-19 pandemic regarding health and safety measures and have always put our employees and customers at the center of every decision that we make. As an organization in the health care sector, we believe the COVID vaccination adds a layer of protection that complements the extensive and necessary health and safety protocols that we have taken to date. With this in mind, we currently require all LifeLabs employees, contractors, students and volunteers to be fully vaccinated.