SERVICE AREA BUYER (Toronto, ON, CA, M)
City : Toronto
Category : Finance, Accounting & Purchasing
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Toronto
- Job ID: 37514
- Job Category: Finance, Accounting & Purchasing
- Division & Section: Social Development, Finance & Admin, SDF&A Financial Management
- Work Location: 55 John St, Toronto, M5V 3C6
- Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Temporary Vacancy (12 months)
- Hourly Rate: $38.37 - $42.03
- Shift Information: Monday – Friday, 35 hours per week
- Affiliation: L79 Full-time
- Number of Positions Open: 1
- Posting Period: 20-Sep-2023 to 04-Oct-2023
To purchase materials, services and equipment for a City service area.
- Prepares and edits purchase requisitions.
- Prepares product specifications descriptions/scope of work.
- Issues competitive tenders, quotations and proposals within service area approved limits and develops specifications for same.
- Confers with suppliers regarding delivery, quality, etc., to ensure that service area and specification requirements are met.
- Operates the City's automated purchasing system to process purchasing requirements (e.g. service area purchase orders and purchase requisitions) and to update and retrieve purchasing information.
- Operates the service area's purchasing system in MS Access for the processing of quotation requests and proposal calls and to track the status of requests to purchase.
- Assists service area clients in developing their purchasing budget and annual purchasing plans.
- Participates in the supplier evaluation/performance process and conducts follow up.
- Represents the Service Area and provides advice, training and a coordination role to divisions and clients regarding purchasing and materials management matters, including any automated systems, purchasing procedures, etc.
- Investigates complaints and resolves disputes between suppliers and customers.
- Provides support to staff within the section as necessary and as directed.
- Prepares summaries of quotations, tenders, proposals and arrange for samples and testing of products.
- Participates on committees related to Service Area purchasing.
- Interviews sales representatives and visits supplier locations, warehouses.
- Prepares service area purchase orders and related documentation from quotations, tenders and proposals.
- Prepares correspondence and administrative reports using word processing and spreadsheet software.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
1. Experience in purchasing of goods and services in a public and/or private sector environments.
2. Experience with processing, issuing and summarizing competitive Requests for Quotation preparing purchase orders, and developing product/service specifications.
3. Experience working with a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel and Outlook).
4. Experience in utilizing computerized purchasing systems (i.e. SAP purchasing module, RPGS Online).
5. A certificate from a recognized purchasing program or equivalent experience.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of various Acts and Regulations governing the public purchasing function (e.g. Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, City of Toronto Fair Wage/Labour Trades Regulations, Federal and Provincial Sales Tax Regulations, etc.)
- Knowledge of the City's Purchasing By-law, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the City's accounting system
- Excellent analytical problem-solving and negotiating skills
- Good report and letter writing skills
- Highly developed communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with other staff and members of the public
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgement
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City's Internal Job Posting Portal.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.