Senior Water Quality Specialist or Ecotoxicologist
City : Victoria
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Water Quality Specialist or Ecotoxicologist - ( 240000FI )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, technical excellence, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science. Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Stantec has an opportunity for a Senior Water Quality Specialist/ Ecotoxicologist to join our water quality team. The position will ideally be located in Burnaby, Victoria or Sidney British Columbia. However, there is the flexibility to work in our other offices in western Canada.
The ideal candidate has experience developing and implementing baseline and long-term monitoring water quality programs, analyzing water quality modeling results, understanding provincial and federal regulations, and assessing the toxicological implications of observed or predicted water quality guideline exceedances on fish and aquatic biota. Experience should include analysis of complex water quality datasets; comparison of water quality data to provincial, territorial, and federal water quality guidelines; and environmental assessment and permitting for a variety of projects and sectors, but with a focus on mining. As a Senior Water Quality Specialist/Ecotoxicologist you will work on discipline-specific projects and as part of multi-disciplinary teams on varied projects across Canada. You will provide technical advice to clients and internal team members using best available science, model results, and professional experience. Work may include water sampling in urban and remote locations, water quality and ecotoxicology environmental effects assessments (i.e., provincial and federal environmental assessments), environmental conditions evaluations, permit applications, and environmental effects monitoring in both freshwater and marine environments. Reporting is a large component of this position and strong analytical and technical writing skills are an asset. Familiarity with R statistical programming is a preferred skill.
The successful candidate will be a team player who enjoys collaboration with colleagues to find solutions to complex water quality problems.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Develop, lead, support, and participate in water quality and sediment quality sampling programs for baseline water quality and sediment quality characterization.
- Develop and maintain large datasets, including screening of data for quality control and quality assurance purposes.
- Assist with design and development of water quality models to support effects assessments for freshwater and marine environments.
- Perform statistical analyses of water quality data to detect spatial and temporal trends, significant differences, and guideline exceedances.
- Interpret water quality data in relation to toxicological effects to fish and aquatic biota, livestock, and/or human health using guidelines, statistical or other models, risk assessment methods, and/or scientific literature.
- Work with other scientific and engineering professionals to develop cost-effective mitigation measures to eliminate or reduce potential effects of changes in water quality and sediment quality to fish and aquatic biota, livestock, and/or human health.
- Promote a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment Program
- Participate in proposal writing, technical report writing and regulatory meetings.
- Conduct quality reviews of technical documents.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
Excellent understanding of federal and provincial water and sediment quality guidelines, legislation and regulations.
- development and implementation of field programs and methods to meet specific project objectives.
- leading field crews for water quality programs
- implementing quality control and quality assurance procedures during sample collection and data analysis
- developing health and safety protocols for field programs
- managing and analyzing data (statistical experience is an asset)
- writing clear, concise and accurate technical reports, environmental assessments and other industry documents
- Experience conducting environmental effects assessments and/or environmental effects monitoring programs is preferred.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in one of the relevant environmental sciences (e.g., toxicology, biology, chemistry) and a minimum of seven year’s work experience or a Master’s degree and a minimum of five year’s work experience.
- Registration, or ability to register within one year, with the British Columbia College of Applied Biology is required. Professional designations from other organizations with reciprocal agreements with BC are also acceptable (e.g., P.Biol from Alberta).
- If you have more experience than outlined in this job posting, we encourage you to apply. We are open to more senior candidates.
- The successful candidate will be required to primarily work in a typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Seasonal field work may include exposure to the elements, including inclement weather and rough terrain, and requirements to lift items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $45.64 - $68.51 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in BC
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Kelowna, Canada-British Columbia-Victoria, Canada-British Columbia-Sidney
Organization : BC-1232 EnvSvcs-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 29, 2024, 2:46:42 PM
Req ID: 240000FI
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans