Senior Water Quality Scientist
City : BURNABY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Water Quality Scientist - ( 2100013U )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and we are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that is critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Does working with clients and regulators to design solutions that protect the aquatic environment appeal to you? Stantec’s Environmental Services team in British Columbia is seeking a Senior Water Quality Scientist with expertise in cross-discipline planning, aquatic effects assessment and monitoring, water quality and sediment quality study design and data interpretation, ecotoxicity and ecological risk assessment, and regulatory permitting.
As a senior practitioner, you will be an integral part of our Environmental Services team and will actively participate as an advisor and mentor with multi-disciplinary regional, national, and international teams to provide technical expertise to support mining, oil and gas, pulp and paper, hydroelectric, and municipal government clients. You will apply your technical expertise to support clients with projects affecting freshwater, estuarine, and marine environments that must comply with various provincial and federal regulations and policies including, but not limited to:
- Metal and Diamond Mine Effluent Regulations (Fisheries Act)
- Pulp and Paper Effluent Regulations (Fisheries Act)
- BC Municipal Wastewater Regulation (BC Environmental Management Act)
- Wastewater Systems Effluent Regulations (Fisheries Act)
- Disposal at Sea Regulations (Canadian Environmental Protection Act)
- Petroleum Refinery Liquid Effluent Regulations (Fisheries Act)
As an effective communicator, you are passionate about making scientific information easily understood by decision-makers, Indigenous groups, and other local stakeholders. At the same time, you will passionately describe and debate the scientific basis, uncertainty, and merits of your conclusions and recommendations with clients, regulators, and other experts. You will provide practical and effective outcomes for clients by providing science-based advice and deliverables.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Use your skills, knowledge, and expertise to act as a subject matter expert to lead, build, and mentor our highly capable and motivated aquatic services team in British Columbia and across Canada and the United States
- Use your strong leadership skills, to initiate, build, and maintain productive relationships with clients across all Stantec’s sector groups, with a particular focus on mining
- Use your strong technical leadership skills to build and maintain productive relationships with other water quality specialists, aquatic biologists, ecotoxicologists, water resource engineers, ecological risk assessors, and contaminated site specialists at Stantec in British Columbia, Canada, and the United States
- Use your strong technical skills to build and maintain trust with regulators, Indigenous groups, and other stakeholders
- Design and implement studies to identify, mitigate, and prevent effects of industrial activities to complex aquatic environments, employing the depth and breadth of your knowledge and research skills, innovative ecological modeling, and statistical tools to provide scientifically defensible and technical practical solutions
- Drive Stantec’s Safer Together culture, prioritizing the health and safety of our employees
- Demonstrate a commitment to our code of business conduct and ethics policies
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Recognized expertise in aquatic ecology, ecotoxicology, water quality, and/or ecological risk assessment
- Experience designing and conducting aquatic fate and effects studies for metals and other contaminants (e.g., hydrocarbons, dioxins, furans)
- Experience designing water and sediment quality baseline studies to address potential project-related contaminant loading
- Fluent understanding of water quality modeling, toxicity testing, ecological benchmarks, risk assessment, mixing zones, site-specific water quality objectives, and methods to model and assess risk to fish and aquatic biota to water and sediment quality guideline exceedances
- Fluent understanding and application of Canadian and provincial water and sediment quality guidelines, legislation, and regulations
- Experience preparing and providing senior technical support to environmental impact assessments and other provincial and federal regulatory applications
- Experience providing expert testimony at public and regulatory hearings is an asset
- Experience with aquatic environment effects monitoring study designs, data interpretation, and reporting
- Established reputation as an industry leader through publication of technical papers and presentations at conferences
Your Education and Experience
A minimum Master’s level degree in one of the environmental sciences (e.g., chemistry, biology, toxicology) or equivalent is required. A minimum of 15 years of experience, including relevant consulting experience. Professional registration is a requirement (e.g., R.P.Bio., P.Ag., P.Geo. or P.Eng.). Proven experience in the mining industry in British Columbia and northern Canada is preferred.
Our Work Environment
Typical office environment includes working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include urban, rural, and remote locations and exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Field work involves frequent use of fixed wing and helicopter access to study sites. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
Stantec has more than 40 offices across Canada and the work location for this position is flexible within British Columbia. However, the preference is for the successful person to work out of Stantec’s Burnaby office near Metrotown. A willingness to travel for project work and business development opportunities is required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make a positive contribution to the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Kelowna, Canada-British Columbia-Victoria, Canada-British Columbia-Sidney
Job : Environmental Scientist
Organization : BC-1232 Environmental Services-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Aug 3, 2021, 8:52:34 AM
Req ID: 2100013U
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans