Senior Vegetation Ecologist
City : Kamloops
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Vegetation Ecologist - ( 230004QY )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is seeking a highly motivated, personable, Senior Vegetation Ecologist to work within our terrestrial environmental services team. The position will be based in one of our British Columbia offices (Sidney, Burnaby, Terrace, Kelowna, Kamloops, or Prince George). The ideal candidate for this position is experienced in a variety of technical areas including environmental assessment, ecosystem classification, terrestrial ecosystem mapping, wetland ecology, and botany.
You will apply your expertise with vegetation and wetland ecology by leading and supporting projects with a focus on addressing regulatory requirements and client needs. You will work independently and supervise project teams in the office and/or field. Work will include a wide variety of projects within various development sectors such as oil and gas, mining, and transportation.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Write regulatory applications (federal, provincial, and municipal)
- Assess the potential effects of projects and describe suitable mitigation measures
- Plan and/or lead vegetation field programs in the field (ecosystem and wetland classification, rare plant surveys, and invasive plant surveys)
- Analyze and summarize vegetation and wetland field data
- Write technical reports presenting results of field studies
- Availability for travel for fieldwork is an asset
- Promote a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security, and Environment (HSSE) Program
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of provincial and federal environmental legislation and regulations that relate to vegetation and wetlands.
- Experience leading the vegetation and wetland components of environmental assessments.
- Knowledge of British Columbia’s biogeoclimatic ecosystem classification system.
- Strong understanding of the terrestrial ecology and plant taxonomy of one or more regions of the province.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including technical writing.
- Disciplined approach to project execution and technical excellence.
- Experienced with ecosystem mapping (e.g., TEM, SEI) and ArcGIS.
- Experience in pre-and post-mining land capability predictions and reclamation planning is an asset.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment under deadlines.
- Good driving record and valid Class 5 driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor or graduate degree in biology, ecology, botany, or a related field
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience
- Professional designation (R.P.Bio) is required.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Fieldwork (if applicable) may include remote work, long drives, and exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
Please include detailed information on field-based skills and valid health and safety training (First Aid, Ground Disturbance II, auxiliary vehicles, etc.).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Kelowna, Canada-British Columbia-Sidney, Canada-British Columbia-Terrace, Canada-British Columbia-Kamloops, Canada-British Columbia-Prince George
Organization : BC-1232 EnvSvcs-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 21, 2023, 10:43:57 AM
Req ID: 230004QY
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans