Senior Technician, IT Support
City : Ottawa
Category : Temporary Assignment or Contract
Industry : Education
Employer : University of Ottawa
The University of Ottawa—A crossroads of cultures and ideas
The University of Ottawa is home to a dynamic community of over 50,000 students, faculty and staff, who live, work and study in both French and English. Our campus is a crossroad of cultures and ideas, where bold minds come together to inspire game-changing ideas. We believe in the power of representation, and that increasing the diversity of our faculty and staff supports this objective. Our goal is to provide students with the best possible learning experience, in an environment that reflects the diversity of its people, their ideas, and their identities.
We are one of Canada’s top 10 research universities—our professors and researchers explore new approaches to today’s challenges. One of a handful of Canadian universities ranked among the top 200 in the world, we attract exceptional thinkers and welcome diverse perspectives from across the globe. Our employees come together around the shared purpose of constant improvement, personal development, service excellence, teamwork and a passion for learning with a desire to make uOttawa and the world a better place. Everyone's contributions are valued, we all play a part in making uOttawa a world-class institution. Most importantly, we make it possible for you to achieve your full potential. Because at uOttawa, you belong!
About the Faculty of Medicine
Welcome to the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine, the first and largest bilingual medical faculty in Canada. Our learners have access to state-of-the art facilities and specialized institutions as they learn alongside world-class physicians and scientists. Consistently ranked among the top 10 medical schools in Canada, our faculty is among the top faculties of medicine in the world for research impact in biomedical and health sciences.
Reporting to the Supervisor, IT Support, Provide advice and technical support services to end users in a designated Faculty or Service in areas related to infrastructure, hardware, software, peripherals and other IT equipment. Provide these services in an effective and efficient manner that meets or exceeds established customer service standards. Offer recommendations about future planning and development of resources.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Diagnostic and repair services: Troubleshoot, repair and implement corrective actions to resolve IT user technical issues in a timely manner. Provide diagnostic and repair services to end users for hardware, software, infrastructure, peripherals and other equipment such as mobile devices, distance education tools, audiovisual and scientific equipment as required. May be required to provide support for the computing lab.
- Monitoring and maintenance: Ensure consistent connectivity and accessibility by monitoring and maintaining hardware, software and peripherals to ensure acceptable service levels. Promote established University and Faculty/Service standards to ensure consistency of data security and integrity throughout the organization.
- Access management: Manage access rights and accounts for users in faculty/service’s identity management system.
- Technical installation services: Provide a wide range of technical installation services to internal clients for hardware services including computers, networks, and for other IT equipment such as network adaptors to ensure an efficient response to the user’s technology needs.
- Software installation and upgrade services: Install, test and upgrade software to ensure it is current, registered and efficiently deployed for the client. Play a key role in deployment of large faculty projects. May be required to assist or plan completely the phase out deployment of these projects.
- Application and tool customization: Perform minor modifications and enhancements to databases, web and administrative applications and electronic tools to configure them for installation and to improve or customize their functioning for clients according to each specific user’s needs.
What you will bring:
- College diploma in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3 years of experience in a technical support role
- Knowledge of University hardware, software, peripherals and security guidelines and standards
- Knowledge of networking protocols and technologies to configure and troubleshoot connectivity issues
- Knowledge of office automation software to support and guide users in their work
- Knowledge of mobile devices, distance education tools, audiovisual and scientific equipment
- Knowledge of established IT policies and procedures of the University in areas such as procurement and asset management and maintenance
- Experience with operating systems to install, diagnose and repair issues; ability to support large user groups
- Experience in the implementation of system upgrades
- Experience working in a customer service environment
- Ability to communicate technical knowledge and information to a nontechnical audience
- Analytical skills to diagnose and repair software, hardware and peripherals issues
- Ability to proactively keep abreast of new emerging technologies
- Ability to prioritize own work
- Bilingualism - French and English (spoken and written)
Bilingualism: French and English (spoken and written); to be considered for this position, candidates must be rated at the Low Advanced proficiency level or higher for both oral comprehension and reading comprehension in their second official language. The rating is determined by a proficiency test designed by the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute.
Key Competencies at uOttawa:
Here are the required competencies for all or our employees at uOttawa:
Planning: Organize in time a series of actions or events in order to realise an objective or a project. Plan and organize own work and priorities in regular daily activities.
Initiative: Demonstrate creativity and initiative to suggest improvements and encourage positive results. Is proactive and self-starting. Show availability and willingness to go above and beyond whenever it is possible.
Client Service Orientation: Help or serve others to meet their needs. This implies anticipating and identifying the needs of internal and external clients and finding solutions on how to meet them.
Teamwork and Cooperation: Cooperate and work well with other members of the team to reach common goal(s). Accept and give constructive feedback. Able to adjust own behaviour to reach the goals of the team.