Senior Technical Designer
City : Toronto, Ontario
Category : Full time
Industry : Product Development
Employer : Shoppers Drug Mart®
Referred applicants should not apply directly to this role.
All referred applicants must first be submitted through Workday by a current Loblaw Colleague.
Founded in 2006, Joe Fresh is a leading source for modern style and accessible design, offering comprehensive lifestyle collections for men, women and children. Joe Fresh delivers quality and compelling value in categories spanning in apparel, accessories, and footwear. Joe Fresh collections are polished and sophisticated, with a focus on essential designs that appeal to a broad range of style-savvy consumers. With more than 350 Joe Fresh departments from coast to coast, the Joe fresh network is more than a great place to shop, it’s a great place to work. We’re committed to building our talented team who champion collaboration, kindness, and inclusivity. We are looking for innovative, hardworking, and collaborative team members for our Joe Fresh team. Join our team in our goal of helping Canadians Live Life Well®.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Position Title: Senior Technical Designer
Reports To: Manager, Technical Design or Director, Technical Design
Associate Technical Designer
The Senior Technical Designer is accountable for their category, delivering both Design’s creative vision and Joe Fresh’s customer expectations through the fit, construction and quality of our product. This is accomplished through excellent pattern making capabilities, manufacturing knowledge, and proactive and collaborative communication with our internal cross functional partners and external vendor base.
The expectation of the Senior Technical Designer is to be a source of knowledge and experience for the Department, which may or may not involve being a people manager.
What you'll do:
- Support Technical Design Manager in the training and development of the Team
- Tracking and managing workflow to ensure seasonal deadlines are met by maintaining the applicable areas of PLM, Fit Agenda, and other administrative tools used by the Technical Design Department
- Follow Up and Tracking of fit samples
- Participating in departmental and cross-departmental meetings as appropriate
- Delivering on Corporate Calendar milestones and deadlines. Voice product / calendar issues so they can be proactively resolved
- Travel to factories and work with technical teams to troubleshoot, educate, and understand factory capabilities
- Understand Design’s creative vision, including silhouette, fabrication, fit intent and design details, and effectively collaborate to translate to the Joe Fresh customer.
- Proactively recommend solutions that will ensure Design intent, fit, construction, quality, timelines and cost are met
FIT & CONSTRUCTION STANDARDS
- Follow Joe Fresh’s it Classifications ensuring consistency throughout the category
- Monitor & manage fit models, from a measurement, behavior and scheduling perspective
- Understand fit model measurements and how to incorporate into fit process
- Maintain grading standards and mange exceptions effectively
- Utilize and Refine Joe Fresh’s Block Library to ensure brand integrity and consistency
- Follow the Joe Fresh How to Measure Manual to measure all garments
- Ensure size and fit consistency within product category
- Follow Joe Fresh Garment Construction Standards and manage exceptions effectively
- Follow technical trim standards
- Ensure garment construction consistency within product category
STYLE DEVELOPMENT & APPROVAL
- Execute design and fit intent into bulk production while maintaining corporate standards
- Communicate sample requirements to factory
- Prepare samples for company meetings (fittings, priority fittings, etc.)
- Evaluate samples to determine compliance of measurements, construction, and fit intent
- Identify potential fit, quality and production issues and make appropriate recommendations while maintaining design’s creative vision and fit intent
- Lead fittings on live model, work with cross-functional departments to achieve design vision and communicate fit and balance corrections to participants
- Ensure external pattern meets Joe Fresh’s design and fit intent, where appropriate
- Communicate style revisions to factory
- Identify and proactively engage business partners when issues arise with recommendations for viable options/solutions and to escalate issues to supervisor if necessary
- Collaborate with the QA department to ensure there are no potential quality assurance issues
- Manage files associated with style approval, including final production pattern, approved tech pack etc.…
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added or modified as required throughout the course of your employment.
What you'll bring:
Degree/diploma or equivalent
- Required: 5+ years Technical Design/Patternmaking/Fit Technician experience
- Required: Microsoft Office
- Required: Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Preferred: Patternmaking Software (Lectra, Gerber)
- Preferred: 3D Design Software (CLO)
- Preferred: PLM Software (Centric)
- Must work at 2 Atlantic Ave
- Some remote work is permitted at management’s discretion
- Overseas travel required. Maximum 1 trip/year, for 10-15 days to vendor base
Key Performance Indicators:
- SPH (Styles per headcount) of the category as well as your own style count
- Internal Turn time of the category as well as your own Turn Time
- Fit iterations of the category as well as your own Average Fit Iterations
- Calendar Deadlines
How You’ll Succeed:
At Joe Fresh, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
Joe Fresh recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.