Senior Tailings Management Specialist (Moa, Cuba based)
City : ., AB
Category : Full Time Mining, Resources, Oil, and Gas
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Sherritt
Sherritt is a world leader in the mining and refining of nickel and cobalt – metals essential for the growing adoption of electric vehicles. Sherritt’s Technologies group creates innovative, proprietary solutions for natural resource-based industries around the world to improve environmental performance and increase economic value. Sherritt is also the largest independent energy producer in Cuba.
Across all of our operations, safety is our top priority and we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture. We offer a work environment where team members are truly valued, and have what they need to thrive in their role and make a meaningful impact.
An exciting opportunity exists at our Moa - Holguin, Cuba mine site for a Senior Tailings Management Specialist.
The purpose of this position is to lead and train local staff for managing the integrity of the tailings facility. By performing the scope of work for key aspects of tailings and pond management focusing on process safety for the operation, surveillance, ongoing construction of tailings facilities, planning future tailings facilities, and liaising with the EoR, ITRB, other internal and external teams and the Accountable Executive.
The work environment will be in an office and plant environment on a four weeks on, two weeks off rotational schedule.
- Train local Cuban staff on tailings management.
- Review detailed Construction Records Report in collaboration with EoR during the construction phase of a tailings structure or when there is a material change to the tailings facility, its infrastructure or its monitoring system;
- Maintain construction and performance records, ensuring its appropriate control to make relevant and up-to-date information accessible;
- Analyze monitoring and surveillance data, report on routine dam inspections, and approve recommendations for improvement of structure conditions;
- Periodically review and update as required an Operations, Maintenance and Surveillance (OMS) Manual and performance reports that supports effective risk management
- Support tailings and pond management Operations and maintain dam safety in accordance with specifications, performance indicators, limits, standards and procedures;
- Implement and periodically review and update site-wide water management strategy;
- Support with developing SOWs for FEL studies, Engineering Studies, DSI, DSRs, ITRBs;
- Implement and maintain EPRP and system, prepare training materials, support testing programs;
- Provide budgetary inputs to meet operational, research and development, and capital expenditure needs;
- Update, review and monitor compliance to the tailings deposition plan;
- Develop and maintain technical databases related to instrumentation, tailings deposition & management to monitor compliance to the tailings deposition plan.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Civil, Geotechnical or Environmental discipline).
- Master of Science in Geotechnical Engineering would be considered an asset.
- Professional Engineering Designation (P.Eng.) designation is desired.
- A minimum of 5 to 10 years geotechnical and tailings experience; including tailings storage facility design, construction, operations and closure of tailings and water storage facilities.
- Experience with slope management; including dam analysis, tailings characterization and instrumentation technologies.
- Knowledge of MAC, CDA, CANCOLD, ICOLD or other guidance documents to manage tailings storage facility governance.
- Strong focus on dam safety with the ability to lead teams in the application of critical thinking.
- Good analytical skills for critically reviewing information from multiple sources, identifying problems and recommending suitable alternatives.
- Able to work within strict deadlines with the ability to adapt to changing requirements.
- Ability to collaborate with multi-disciplinary project teams for the delivery of construction projects.
- Proven ability to build relationships within the organization and with external stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge and experience in using Goldsim, AutoCAD and Slope stability software is an asset.
- Fluency in Spanish would be considered an asset.
What Sherritt Can Offer You
- Competitive salary with comprehensive benefits and retirement savings programs that holistically support employee wellbeing
- Generous paid time off to support and empower employee work/life balance
- Ongoing learning and professional development opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and dynamic work environment
Application Deadline: The job posting will remain open until a qualified candidate is selected.
We thank all candidates for their application. Only qualified candidates will be contacted directly and engaged in the interview process.