Senior Structural Engineer, Infrastructure Facilities
City : Thornhill, ON
Category : T&I - Water & Wastewater
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Structural Engineer to join our Infrastructure Facilities team, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Director of the Facilities Group, this position will be responsible for working with multi-disciplinary teams to take innovative design solutions from proposals through to constructed projects for clients in a wide variety of Sectors.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Support one or more department Project Managers on all required design and construction-related structural engineering scope on multiple projects
- Perform engineering calculations and assessments for structures composed of various materials including: Steel, Concrete, Masonry, and Wood
- Utilize engineering software in the analysis of structural building components
- Manage resources, costs, and change controls to ensure that projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Share knowledge with others by serving as a trainer, mentor, and resource
- Peer review and QA/QC
- Lead or support an engineering team responsible for the preparation and revisions of documents in various structural phases
- Manage and coordinate projects with various clients and other disciplines required for project implementation
- Develop and manage client relationships
- Provide technical leadership on projects
- Negotiate contracts with clients, suppliers, and other service providers
- Contribute/help with business development plans, developing market strategies, and winning new work
- Respond to client request for proposals
- Write technical reports
- Edit specifications to suit project-specific requirements
- Complete engineering assessments
- Participate in national practice technical initiatives, as required
- Keep detailed records of all work including design calculations and models
- Occasional travel within Canada on occasion for site assessments and site support
- Other duties as assigned
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Structural/Civil Engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer with the PEO
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience as a licensed engineer
- Working knowledge of all applicable local and national building codes and standards
- Design experience should be municipal facilities focused and can include some or all of the following: Municipal (water and wastewater treatment facilities, pumping station, reservoirs), industrial (solid waste facilities) and retaining structures (retaining walls and culverts)
- Experienced in coordination with other disciplines (MEP and Architectural) to solve design issues collectively and independently
- A successful candidate will have a solid technical background with proficiency in the major structural software suites used (ETABS, SAFE, STAAD PRO and RamSteel) combined with a strong portfolio of design work on buildings projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Experienced in Contract Administration and support of various construction phases, including performing site visits
- Seismic analysis and design experience is an asset
- Experience working as a sub-consultant to an Architects or Design-Build Contractor
- Proficiency in Revit would be considered beneficial