Senior Software Engineer (Python Developer)
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Computer Software Engineer, Applications
Industry : Financial Services/Banking
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 189673
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Global Banking and Markets Engineering (GBME) is the fast-moving, award-winning technology engine that powers Scotiabank’s Corporate, Investment Banking and Capital Markets businesses.
GBME is searching for Software Engineers who are continuous learners and are eager to boost capabilities of capital markets products and analytics platforms.
The successful candidate will have a strong technical and engineering mindset. You will work closely with business teams and cross functional engineering leaders to develop and implement market leading solutions for the various projects within GBME.
About the Job
Do you thrive when faced with challenges? Like using fresh technologies to solve problems? Looking to work in various projects across the organization, collaborating with great teams and inspiring leaders? Then this is the right team for you! In this exciting role, you’ll apply your analytical skills to design and develop applications that deliver excellence, effectiveness, and value to our business partners and customers.
In partnership with peer engineers, business partners, and the various GBME teams, you will:
- Work closely with end users, and business teams to understand business needs, conduct gap analysis and requirements assessments as needed
- Partner with Architecture on the design and integration
- Deliver and enhance new and current solutions and applications
- Be involved in the full life cycle of a project, responsible for producing actionable and complete specifications, writing production quality code, and implementation
- Design, deliver and implement a database schema
- Design test sets and automate where possible, including functional and non functional testing, regression testing as well as performance testing
- Write deployment scripts and leverage tools such as the Accelerator pipeline to promote code
- Support the solution in production (as needed)
- Improve the end user experience by finding scalable solutions and addressing complex ad hoc queries.
- Effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences
- Able to work with and refactor legacy code (as needed).
- Coach and train end users (as needed).
- Participate and run SCRUM Meetings (as needed).
You are passionate about developing applications that are reusable, efficient, and scalable, working in an innovated cross functional team environment.
- Experience with 2 or more modern development languages (Python, Java, etc.)
- 4+ years’ experience developing, deploying, and maintaining large scale applications with complex integration.
- Recent experience with relational and non relational databases.
- 2 + years’ experience reading, writing, and running SQL scripts.
- Experience working in an Agile environment, with experience and understanding of Test-Driven Development methodology.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Engineering or relevant experience.
- Experience with some automated deployment.
- Understanding of networking protocols and security principles
- (nice to have) Capital Markets product knowledge
What's in it for you?
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Allyship - We strive to create an inclusive culture where every employee is empowered to reach their fullest potential, respected for who they are, and are embraced through bias-free practices and inclusive values across Scotiabank. We embrace diversity and provide opportunities for all employee to learn, grow & participate through our various Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) that span across diverse gender identities, ethnicity, race, age, ability & veterans.
- Accessibility and Workplace Accommodations - We value the unique skills and experiences everyone brings to the Bank and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Scotiabank continues to locate, remove, and prevent barriers so that we can build a diverse and inclusive environment while meeting accessibility requirements.
- Remote-friendly work environment will provide you with the flexibility to perform at your best.
- Upskilling through online courses, cross-functional development opportunities, and tuition assistance.
- Competitive Rewards program including bonus, flexible vacation, personal, sick days and benefits will start on day one.
- Community Engagement - no matter where you choose to work from; we offer opportunities for community engagement & belonging with our various programs such as hackathons, contests, cooking with friends, Humans of Digital and much more!
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.