Senior Software Engineer (java/Kafka)
City : North York
Category : Full-time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Sun Life Financial
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
The Platforms and Engineering group is a team of skilled professionals who dedicate their careers to supporting and enhancing Sun Life’s technology-based solutions. We focus on discovering new ways to help our clients achieve lifetime financial security, live healthier lives and connect with us. Come join us as we continue to intensify our journey in helping our clients and transforming our business in exciting ways!
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our fast paced and high performing Engineering team to support our digital transformations. You will use your engineering prowess and experience in building out data products that will be exposed via APIs and events to help us deliver core data, application pipelines and frameworks to provide great digital experiences to our clients.
What will you do?
- Build and deploy APIs and highly available services that adhere to internal governance controls and deployment platforms to support our digital transformations.
- Operate in a Shift-Left testing environment and prioritize writing efficient, tested and clear code
- Participate in improving the supportability and transparency of the applications and services we build by creating clear and comprehensive documentation, monitoring/alert systems and centralized logging
Knowledge and Skill requirements:
- 5-7+ years of experience working with the following:
- Java programming languages
- SQL databases, such as MSSQL
- Microservice Architectures
- Working knowledge of:
- Docker and container-orchestration tools like Kubernetes
- Jenkins, Artifactory, and Ansible
- Kafka streaming technologies
- a Cloud Service Provider (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, etc.)
- Familiarity with:
- Various NoSQL database designs (e.g. Key-Value, Document, Wide-Column, Graph, etc.).
Nice to have:
- Understanding of Springboot
- Understanding of Agile methodology (i.e., Kanban, Scrum, SAFe, Digital Enterprise)
- Periodic weekend/after-hours work may be required to support project implementations and system upgrades.
- This role requires Canadian Enhanced Reliability Security clearance [a minimum of 5 years of consecutive residency in Canada].
What’s in it for you:
- Great Place to Work® Certified in Canada and the US - 2022
- Great Place to Work® award for Best Workplaces for #HybridWork
- 2022 Named “Best Places to Work” by Glassdoor - 2021
- Canada Award for Excellence for Mental Health at Work
- 2021 Flexible hybrid work model including in-country work-from-home if you prefer.
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security.
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range:82,000/82 000 - 135,000/135 000
Job Category:IT - Application Development
Posting End Date:09/10/2023