Senior Software Engineer – Backend
City : Vancouver
Category : See Posting
Industry : Technology
Employer : Microsoft
What is Yammer?
Microsoft Yammer is the industry-defining social network for the enterprise. Millions of employees, including 85% of Fortune 500 companies use Yammer every day, to build community and culture, share knowledge, and connect with their leaders and each other.
Yammer was one of the first startup unicorns this past decade and was acquired by Microsoft in 2012. Today, this means we get the benefits of a startup - rapid innovation, cutting-edge technology, outsized individual impact - with the advantages of working for one of the most successful software companies in the world. We work together in small, cross-functional teams - engineers, product managers, designers, data scientists - to design, deliver and operate delightful end user experiences to our tens of millions of users spread across the world.
We’ve always been mission-driven; In this post-Covid world, Yammer has become even more indispensable than ever as employees have a deep need for connection and a sense of belonging. We’ve been growing rapidly and need your help to take Yammer to the next level.
You will have:
- Autonomy and freedom to innovate
- Choice of the best of open source and Microsoft-internal technology
- The ability to experiment, A/B test, and make data-driven decisions
- Tons of opportunity for outsized impact as part of a small but mighty team on a rapidly-growing product needed now more than ever
At the same time, you also have the benefits of working at a top-tier tech company like Microsoft:
- Compensation, benefits, and perks
- Internal resources, technology, and opportunities for learning and growth
- Brand and networking
- Opportunity for massive scale as part of a suite with hundreds of millions of users
About this job
Our backend engineers develop the core Yammer services that power all our experiences. As a social networking product, Yammer has tons of interesting engineering challenges - like supporting large-scale conversations with hundreds of thousands of participants. We deploy new code every day to our tens of millions of users and are constantly innovating to improve the system and deliver a delightful experience.
Our BE stack:
- Linux on Azure
- Java and Ruby microservices, deployed as Docker containers
- GraphQL, DropWizard, Rails REST APIs
- Postgres/CosmosDB/Kafka/RabbitMQ/Redis storage and queuing
- Mesos container orchestration, HAProxy-based service mesh
- Wavefront metrics, Azure Data Explorer log aggregation, PagerDuty alerting
- Design, build, and maintain services with millions of users, operating in multiple global regions
- Collaborate with product, design, and engineering to deliver a delightful experience
- Continually seek deeper insights into the performance and scalability of our systems
- Experiment, A/B test key hypothesis to make data driven decisions
- Improve service reliability, performance and latency
- BS in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in software backend engineering
- Knowledge of RDBMS programming
- Java or Ruby, GraphQL, REST, proficiency
- Excellent programmer: your code is maintainable, and you write tests
- Experience owning your code through production
- Curious about reliability and performance, up and down the stack
- Microservices development, deployment, and monitoring
- Experience building large scale, resilient distributed systems
- Working familiarity with networking protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP) and network architectures
- Efficient, tenacious debugging skills using logs and metrics
- Demonstrated ability with Ruby on Rails is a plus but not necessary
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.