Senior Site Superintendent – Midrise
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Full-Time
Industry : Construction - Site
Employer : Mattamy Homes
Mattamy Homes Canada
Construction Office – Ottawa Division
VP, Construction Operations
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centred on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
In keeping with the Mattamy Mission of providing The Best Homeowner Experience and adhering to generally accepted building practices, the Senior Builder in our Ottawa Division manages the day-to-day construction operations of the Mattamy community, ranging from budgets to health and safety. As a representative of the Mattamy Construction team, the Senior Builder will report to the Manager, Construction and is responsible for the following:
What you’ll do
- All site scheduling, anticipating conflicts with schedules or people connected to schedule and resolving them in advance.
- Reviews and approves all production schedules at site. Ensures trade partner, inspector and supplier adherence to scheduled activities and prioritizes their overall requirements.
- Ensures complete adherence to construction process per Mattamy Policy and Procedures.
- Prepares site for start-up per Mattamy policy and procedures.
- Performs up-front scheduling of early trades. With respect to trades/suppliers prior to excavation, orders and coordinates delivery of initial building materials e.g. windows and trusses. In cases where the project does not have sufficient starts to warrant a Foundation Builder, the Senior Builder assumes those responsibilities.
- Solves problems within level of authority/scope quickly, economically and in a way that preserves relationships.
- Manages Construction Staff (salaried and hourly) through on-going performance management, development, coaching and attracting and retaining strong performers. Plans, organizes and conducts regular meetings with staff to review manpower, materials, quality, production and safety and communicate business updates as required.
- Liaises frequently with internal stakeholders, such as Land, Contracts & Purchasing, the Design Studio and Construction Management.
- Communicates/ coordinates with other departments to ensure timeliness of permits, structural work orders, availability of colours and finishings and a seamless construction process.
- Keeps Construction Management informed of project’s current progress and attends Production Meetings each week.
- Ensures homes are built to requirements and specifications established by construction drawings, building codes, TARION and Mattamy standards.
- Develops and maintains strong, productive supplier and trade contractor relationships. Communicates company quality and performance standards to each trade contractor and supplier. Conducts periodic work inspections to ensure standards are met.
- Supplies Builders with contracts, scopes of work, and contacts for all trades, suppliers, engineers, and consultants. Evaluates daily production overview and makes necessary changes to ensure schedule compliance.
- Monitors critical paths for projects, trade contractor schedules, and cost control to ensure that homes are QA ready and meet expected quality and budgets.
- Proofreads and reviews work orders prior to commencement of home construction to ensure feasibility, clarity and intent of extras and changes described in paperwork.
- Reviews and approves all rework invoices.
- Liaise with company Health and Safety department ensuring local division support of accident investigations, claims administration and case management (i.e. return to work of division employees), while ensuring a safe work environment.
What you bring
- 7+ years residential construction supervision experience in the new home industry, preferably in a high-volume production build environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Ontario Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act and other health and safety regulations.
- Clear understanding of contracts, plans, and specifications, as well as construction methods, materials and regulations. Includes knowledge of all trades, staff responsibilities, scheduling and scopes of work.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills required, both oral and written
- Proven track-record of successful production planning/scheduling and managing to aggressive building timelines in a high-volume building environment.
- Skills in building relationships with a broad network of contacts, including trade partners and suppliers and a strong customer focus.
- Strong organizational skills, including the tracking and control of costs and budgets.
- Flexible, with the ability to work at locations across the division.
- Excellent Customer Service skills, with a proven success record of implementing win-win solutions with various stakeholder groups internally and externally.
- Ability to train and mentor staff through advanced leadership skills with the ability to delegate as required.
- Must be detailed and thorough, holding stakeholders and staff accountable to quality results, with a willingness to take responsibility and be held accountable for results.
- Intermediate computer skills, with a strong comfort to be able to learn and navigate various computer systems for production & relevant site information.
- Post-Secondary education in construction management, engineering or architectural technology.
- Experience using Procore & BuildPro.
- Knowledge of MS Office software (Excel, Word, Outlook).
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.