Senior Production Engineer
City : Remote Site, Ontario, Canada
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to make it a reality with remote work and potentially, part-time work.
- We believe an inclusive, diverse and barrier-free work environment makes for empowered and committed employees.
- We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families and also offer a variety of paid family leave programs.
- We are committed to employee development, offering tuition reimbursement and a variety of in-house learning and mentorship opportunities.
- We know that financial security is important. We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, RSU’s (job level specific) and an employee share option purchase program.
- We realize time away to recharge is non-negotiable. We offer unlimited paid time off!
- Great work deserves recognition. We have a robust recognition program, with ongoing and enhanced awards for exemplary performance.
As part of Modem and Photonics LCM and Repair group, the ideal candidate has both hardware and software background and experience with factory production metrics and factory automation. Candidate must be flexible to changing inputs & highly technical problem solver, with interdisciplinary knowledge of software, and test & measurement, and feel at home in a multifaceted, multi-team engineering environment, acting as an interface between NPI, LCM, RMA, product design, other test engineering teams, and the volume production line!
Your daily routine will include monitoring production at 5 global manufacturing sites, developing, building, troubleshooting, and supporting test station automation used in Ciena’s production lines for the modems/photonics crafted by Ciena. You will also be part of test systems and new tools which are required for the next generation of products, to grow our testing capabilities, which will be deployed abroad at the sites of our manufacturing partners.
- Develop test automation software, test sequences and test instructions
- Provide test mentorship and Design For Testability analysis at the R&D reviews
- Support the NPI & LCM team with test tools during the prototype development
- Testing alpha and beta prototypes in the lab to validate the test process
- Support the Contract Manufacturer (CM) for testing of prototypes and production
- Optimize test methods to increase test efficiency and adaptability
- Build new tools to scale test capabilities to higher volume, reduce test time
- Provide interfaces for other groups to use the new tools with different technologies
- Integrate test station into the CIENA corporate manufacturing system (define process flows, PMAs, ATEs, interface to data base, etc.)
- Adapt new technologies to improve or replace existing test processes;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English is MUST)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Team player to optimally collaborate with cross functional teams around the world;
- Self-motivated, well-organized with a willingness to learn;
- Assertiveness to drive our contract manufacturer engineers / technicians;
- Speaking and writing: MUST be proficient English (Spanish/Thai an asset)
- Ability and willingness to travel abroad occasionally as per business needs
- Strong technical skills with hands on experience in test & debugging of telecom products
- Experience with Contract Manufacturer environment (Sanmina, Celestica, Flextronics, Jabil, etc)
- Familiar with the laboratory environment and test equipment
- Hands on experience in software development (C#) and Python and LUA and knowledge of Matlab
- Test Systems implementation experience, Security standards and protocols
- Curiosity to experiment with new technologies, to tackle current problems
- Experience with Electro-Optics Secure product development and testing
- Ability to navigate PCB schematic and layout tools
- Knowledge of the Ciena Optical Modem products desirable
- Bachelor or Master of Engineering Degree (Security, Computers, Electronics)
- Minimum of 10 years of production experience in Electronics/CMs/TestEng
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.