Senior Portfolio Analyst – Equity Income Team (Materials or Technology) – 1832 AM
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5C2V9
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 151122
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
1832 Asset Management L.P.
1832 Asset Management L.P. is one of Canada’s largest asset managers, and offers a comprehensive range of solutions through Dynamic Funds and ScotiaFunds, spanning every major sector, geographic region and investment discipline. The firm and its predecessor companies have been providing asset management services in Canada since 1877, as a manager of mutual funds and providing investment solutions for private clients, institutions, foundations, endowments and managed asset programs.
Today, the firm has over $140 billion in assets under management, and its experienced investment management team is active across capital markets and asset classes, deploying traditional and innovative strategies driven to deliver investment management excellence for our clients across our domestic and international businesses.
1832 Asset Management L.P. is a limited partnership, the general partner of which is wholly owned by Scotiabank.
Senior Portfolio Analyst, Equity Income Team
The 23 member award-winning Equity Income team invests in quality businesses at a reasonable price (QUARP®) and focuses on securities that pay a dividend or distribution. The team has developed global sector expertise, with a strong base of experience in real estate, infrastructure, energy securities and alternative investments. In an effort to support the ongoing growth of the Equity Income team, we are currently searching for a Senior Portfolio Analyst.
Working as a member of the larger Equity Income team at 1832 Asset Management L.P., the Senior Portfolio Analyst will be responsible for providing sector expertise across Canadian, U.S. and Global markets. The Analyst will work as a specialist, gathering, consolidating and interpreting information and data required for buy, hold and sell decisions for the team. The Analyst will also be responsible for researching companies and securities, preparing and submitting written & verbal reports.
The Senior Portfolio Analyst will be required to keep current on significant industry and company specific trends impacting the assigned sector and organizations. In addition, as a member of the broader 1832 Asset Management team, the Senior Portfolio Analyst will collaborate with the various teams across 1832 Asset Management, contributing to and/or leading sector-based discussions in their area of expertise.
The Portfolio Analyst will be responsible for the following:
- Analyzing financial information to determine current and future financial performance on Canadian, U.S. and Global companies;
- Evaluating quarterly reports, annual reports, event-driven situations, and other regulatory filings;
- Organizing the information collected into an easily accessible format and writing succinct research reports for use by the team in stock selection;
- Collecting industry, company and economic information from a variety of sources including the Web, institutional research, corporate reports, general and industry publications, management interviews, etc. in order to draft reports and make investment recommendations;
- Generating a reasonable thesis for each investment position;
- Providing ongoing coverage of relevant events to the investment team;
- Reading and summarizing research reports for the purpose of making oral presentations and written reports;
- Maintaining a “recommended list” throughout the year;
- Developing expertise on the securities under his/her responsibility, and supporting other Analysts/PMs as necessary;
- Maintaining work on securities held within the team's funds:
- Maintaining current financial models on each company;
- Reading all available public information on individual companies;
- Updating the team accordingly with material information (i.e. quarterly and annual reports, event-driven situations, AIFs, press releases, and sell side and other analyst reports);
- Meeting with company management regularly;
- Attending industry seminars and report back any relevant information;
- Actively participating in Analyst-focused activities across 1832 Asset Management;
- Collaborating with teams across 1832 Asset Management, contributing to sector-based discussions; and
- Supporting the team with back-up Administration duties as needed.
Desired Skills & Experience
A successful Senior Portfolio Analyst will possess the following skills and experience:
- University Degree preferably with a post-graduate degree in Economics, Finance, Business, or related field;
- Minimum 3 years related buy or sell-side securities analysis experience required
- CFA Charterholder or active enrollment in the CFA program preferred;
- Strong financial modelling skills, with the ability to run complex models with minimal assistance and supervision;
- Experience & knowledge of investment systems (i.e. Bloomberg, CPMS, Charles River) a definite asset;
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to analyze and interpret research and make investment recommendations;
- Experience working within a team environment, with the ability to collaborate well across the team;
- Ability to work in a very fast paced environment;
- Proven ability to cope with stress and multiple tasks;
- Ability to make decisions quickly and accurately; and
- Some travel involved (industry seminars, company meetings or tours).
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.