Senior Planner (Industrial Development)
City : Waterloo
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Planner (Industrial Development) - ( 2300038H )
Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
As a Senior Planner (Industrial Development) within our Community Development team based in our London office, you will have the opportunity to work on projects for private sector clients such as, with a primary focus on managing projects facilitating industrial, mixed-use, and other large-scale development projects. Other opportunities, such as site selection, industrial subdivisions, community design plans, Official Plan reviews, public consultation and infrastructure planning may also be facilitated by the Senior Planner (Industrial). The role spans a broad range of planning disciplines and would suit an individual with experience in broad spectrum of development who seeks to focus on the industrial development industry of south-western Ontario with regard to client-relationship building, policy and process knowledge, and project management.
As a 23,000 person interdisciplinary firm, the business opportunities within Stantec are endless. At the same time, our planning team in Ontario Southwest works collaboratively on multiple projects with engineers, landscape architects and other specialist which provides for a close working environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
Industrial land development is a complex endeavor that requires understanding of multiple engineering, urban planning, landscape architecture and construction disciplines, as well as the Provincial policy framework. It involves bringing the best ideas from each discipline and weaving them together to create great master plan designs that accommodate the sound development of employment opportunities for future residents of the region. The details of the plans and designs must be supported by the local municipalities approving authority and working closely with their representatives is instrumental in the efficient advancement of the design and construction process. We are seeking experienced team members who know how to navigate this exciting, evolving environment. Please see the responsibilities below:
- Lead the design for greenfield and brownfield land development projects of high complexity.
- Manage the processing and approval of development applications, including Ministers Zoning Orders, Official Plan Amendments, Zoning Bylaw Amendments, Site Plan Applications, minor variances and consent applications, and Plans of Subdivisions.
- Complete due diligence reports and land reviews integrating knowledge from other key disciplines.
- Liaise with municipalities and other approving authorities to advance client objectives in completing land development entitlements.
- Research and analyze policy changes to identify issues and provide advice and recommendations on planning issues.
- Build and foster relationships with clients, municipal, and provincial approving authorities.
- Provide mentorship, training, and guidance to junior and intermediate technical and land use planning staff.
- Effectively document and communicate complex information and recommendations to clients, senior management, and municipal planners.
- Contribute and provide guidance in project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, clients, and other various project stakeholders.
- Participate in quality assurance and quality control review on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assist in the development of new standards and processes for the design team.
- Contribute to the development of proposals and the development of project scope and fees through a land use planning process and design focused lens.
- Manage and organize public consultation programs including making recommendations of key findings to the client.
- Maintain and strengthen client relationships and play a key role in client management and satisfaction.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- In-depth knowledge of planning policies and processes in Ontario.
- Experience processing planning applications in Ontario.
- Experience presenting before Planning Committees, Committees of Adjustment, or equivalent.
- Demonstrates knowledge of planning theories, principles, practices and standards, and can testify as an expert in land use planning matters before the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT) as necessary.
- Highly effective in assembling and leading multi-discipline teams on complex projects.
- Demonstrates the ability to build consensus, negotiate, mediate, and resolve conflicts, along with the ability to readily identify potential problems on a project.
- Efficient project management of multiple concurrent projects, including assigning/coordinating tasks to achieve project outcomes, monitoring progress, and reporting results.
- Identify and prioritize issues and monitor financial performance/productivity.
- Highly effective in building and maintaining client relationships.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, with the ability to produce reports, briefing memos, and presentations.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent in Planning with full CIP/OPPI membership and a minimum of 8 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers. Some travel may be required to attend meetings with clients and review agencies. May occasionally visit study areas, construction sites and/or be exposed to outside elements and inclement weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-London
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Organization : BC-1614 CommDev-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Aug 23, 2023, 1:56:24 PM
Req ID: 2300038H
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans