Senior Performance and Data Analyst
City : Vancouver
Category : Corporate Services
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 38687
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Finance and Performance Measurement Financial Analyst II will be a senior member of a team of Finance and Performance Measurement Analysts in the City’s Centre of Expertise for Service Planning and Performance Measurement.
Interfacing with key business leaders from client departments as well as the City’s Corporate Leadership team, your work will enable the City to leverage performance metrics to support strategic, operational and financial decisions as well as support service transformation by driving accountability, improving transparency and increasing value for money.
This role will partner closely with other Corporate Support teams to foster a culture of data driven decision making across the city by working with client departments to increase data literacy, enable data exploration, and disseminate business intelligence tools and processes amongst end users.
- Leading and participating in the City’s Service Planning process and Performance Measurement reporting including linking the Service Plans to performance metrics, budgets, Departmental workplans, and the Corporate Plan
- Providing leadership and guidance to your peers within the team. Motivating and inspiring everybody to be their best.
- Developing, monitoring and analyzing performance metrics, financial data and benchmarks to establish the cost efficiency and effectiveness of services
- Assist client departments in identifying opportunities to increase process accountability, transparency and value for money
- Providing data analysis and financial decision support which could include financial modelling, business analysis, and business case development
- Creating a standard City wide methodology for benchmarking performance and efficiency
- Reviewing the impact of major City decisions on service plans and performance
- Developing and tracking short term focus metrics to support continuous process improvement and improved service outcomes
- Proposing high value datasets for enablement through the City’s Enterprise Data Enablement process, building and deploying automated dashboards and reporting processes using business intelligence tools.
- Working with client departments to foster data literacy and user adoption of business intelligence tools and processes though end user support and training.
- Working with client departments to uncover and remediate data quality issues.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Business, Commerce, Business Analytics or a related discipline
- Masters of Business Analytics (MBAN), or Professional accounting designation (CPA), or Masters of Business Administration (MBA)
- Minimum 6-8 years of post-designation experience in performance measurement, data analysis budgeting, and financial analysis
- Experience in supporting and developing strategies to support major corporate decisions and identifying performance measures to inform strategic decisions
- Experience in building or reviewing highly complex financial and operational data models
- Business intelligence experience, familiarity with data management, BI tools, data mining, designing reports and dashboards to facilitate evidence based effective decision making
- Extensive experience in strategically answering complex business problems through data analysis, scenario modeling and creative thinking
- Initiating business process improvements, supporting strategic decisions and change initiatives for a large organization
- Significant experience in supporting and facilitating complex multi-stakeholder initiatives and engagements
- Experience with the creation and presentation of public information (formal/informal reports, other publications) as well as engagement involving a diverse range of stakeholders
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple organizational priorities, projects, and deadlines
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of performance metrics, finance, and business concepts
- Strong business acumen and the ability to link financial and operational metrics
- Proven ability to “connect the dots” and make strategic recommendations within the broad corporate context taking into consideration interdependencies among policies and initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to make sound judgments in a wide variety of complex situations with no established precedents
- Ability to create data models, measurements and dashboards using Business Intelligence tools such as Excel, PowerPivot, PowerQuery, Qlik Sense, Power BI or Tableau
- Ability to perform complex financial modeling and scenario analysis
- Ability to extract and analyse large datasets from an Enterprise Data warehouse using T-SQL or other query languages an advantage
- Working knowledge of Python and/or R is an advantage
- Excellent communication and presentations skills with the ability to deliver complex concepts to both technical and non- technical audiences
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to represent and serve the City at all levels as well as interact with customers and clients outside the organization
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities
- Superior research and analytical skills
- Problem-solving and issue resolution skills in a complex business environment
- Ability to maintain professionalism, objectivity, confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Supply Chain Management (1150)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-091: $106345 to $132936 per hour
Application Close: June 7, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.