City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Paleontologist - ( 230004TC )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Reporting to our Calgary, Alberta office, the role of the Senior Paleontologist at Stantec will include scoping and desktop screening to determine the need for and scope of paleontological studies; field work including assessment, construction monitoring, recording/salvage of fossil sites; and office tasks such as permit applications, safety paperwork, fossil analysis, and report writing.
Candidates must be able and willing to work outdoors in remote locations and for extended periods under all weather conditions, often at construction sites during which independent work alongside a construction crew will be necessary. The Senior Paleontologist may also supervise assistants or small crews during some types of work, and will work closely with Stantec's project managers. Candidates must demonstrate awareness for and commitment to workplace safety.
Both part time and full-time opportunities are available.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work and deliver quality reports on schedule and within budget.
- Complete paleontological field studies as required, including pre-construction assessment, construction monitoring, and fossil salvage.
- Interact and interface with construction contacts, clients and regulators.
- Participate in Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work.
- Provide supervision, training, technical direction and mentoring to junior staff.
- Apply technical and business knowledge and methods to develop creative, effective, and economical solutions to address current and potential project issues.
- Execute specific technical tasks or requirements for medium to large projects.
- Conduct peer reviews of routine and moderately complex work by colleagues or more junior practitioners.
- Assignments/projects are advanced in nature and require the application of mature knowledge and experience.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient in and consistently demonstrates and promotes policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (if applicable).
- Strong skills in technical writing.
- Skilled in communications and technical information exchange with clients, engineers and scientists, government regulators and agencies, and academia, as well as non-technical communication to the public.
- Disciplined approach to project execution and technical excellence.
- Flexible and thrives in a constantly changing work environment
- Ability to provide written and verbal direction on project delivery.
- Shows leadership in striving to continuously improve technical performance.
- Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports creativity and innovation.
- Builds and maintains productive professional and personal networking relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively with construction crews, construction supervisors, and contractors on site.
- Ability to use field data collection equipment such as GPS and camera.
- Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- At least four years of paleontological work experience.
- Good driving record and valid driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
- Graduate degree in paleontology, geology, or related field.
- MSc or PhD in geology, paleontology, or related field.
- Minimum 4 years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education (e.g., advanced degree) and experience.
- Combination of office and field experience.
- Qualifies to hold a paleontological permit in Alberta and/or Saskatchewan and/or British Columbia.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1249 EnvSvcs-CA Alberta South
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 28, 2023, 5:00:54 PM
Req ID: 230004TC
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans