Senior Optical System Designer
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
What will you do at Ciena?
Our team defines the overall photonic system features and architectures, and the control strategies to operate it.
In this role you will architect optical solutions, which could be new hardware configurations and/or features that provide customers improved functionality, robustness, ease of use and optical performance.
- Author the Product Specification Agreement which details the high-level requirements of new features or architecture in order for other teams to derive their own detailed implementation details.
- Work with Product Line Managers to clarify & negotiate customer requirements for new features/functionality.
- Generate creative ideas & solutions and to trade off acceptable solutions vs. complexity.
- Support or participate in customer demonstrations of new features or prototypes.
- Assist with complex and/or urgent field issues that have been escalated from the support organization.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Deep understanding of fiber optic communication systems and optical technologies/architectures including optical propagation & impairments.
- This very varied role requires interfacing and influencing many different teams, such as product verification, other hardware & software design teams, Product Line Management, product support & those developing higher level applications such as MCP and planning tools.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills are essential.
- The successful candidate should be capable of working efficiently both independently and as part of a team.
- Proven ability to multitask and prioritize tasks.
- In depth knowledge of optical DWDM photonic platforms and their applications.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot complex issues by leading an investigation and coordinating other teams as necessary in order to reach an RCA, and to determine any related exposure to the issue. The candidate should provide evidence of their ability to distill complex information down to a manageable level to present to both customers and executives.
- Understanding of optical link budgeting and application to new designs.
- Familiar with YANG data model structures and NBI.
- Knowledge of network planning and/or optical planning tools would be an asset.
- Knowledge of control loop design would be an asset.
- Bachelor, Masters or PhD in a relevant engineering or physics degree plus minimum 4 years relevant industrial experience.
- Full time, based in Ottawa
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.