Senior Online Network Engineer – Gears of War – The Coalition
City : Vancouver
Category : See Posting
Industry : Technology
Employer : Microsoft
The Coalition is a Microsoft first-party development studio located in Vancouver, Canada. We are the official home of the Gears of War franchise, and our objective is to forge the future of the IP and push the limits of Microsoft’s entertainment platforms and devices. Our team is comprised of deep creative and technical talent from across our industry and beyond, working cohesively to delight our fan base and pass expectations of what is possible. As a studio, we lead from our values and work together to promote respect and inclusion, a growth mindset, G.R.I.T (Guts, Resourcefulness, Initiative & Tenacity), all while putting our team first! Join us and let’s go far together!
The Coalition’s Online team builds the multiplayer and online experiences in our games, including in-game economies and commerce, session management, player statistics, user generated content, matchmaking, and game content management just to name a few. We follow an agile, iterative, and quality driven software development lifecycle. We embrace DevOps and build our features to be supportable and easy to troubleshoot. We believe that our main branch should always be shippable, and features should get to our customers as frequently as possible, with all of our services being deployed to production regularly. We build our clients and services with the latest technologies (UE5, .NET7) leveraging Azure whenever we can. As a team, we focus on a first-class player experience, common technological foundations, and empowering developers.
- Help deliver a fantastic, best-of-industry networking architecture using both P2P and Dedicated Server approaches.
- Implement multiplayer game experiences in partnership with design and engineering teams.
- Work closely with the rest of the online team to ensure online solutions are well integrated while being secure, reliable, and performant.
- Work closely with design and production to realize application functionality while considering various technical and end user requirements.
- Make networking-based recommendations for performance, bandwidth optimization, stability, and security.
- OR equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of Low-level networking experience? Such as: sockets, TCP/UDP, bandwidth optimization, messaging (reliable and unreliable), etc.
- 2+ years of Game-specific networking experience? Such as: object replication, client-server and peer-to-peer architectures, server migration, dedicated servers, time sync, prediction, QoS, voice, etc.
- 2+ years of experience with Unreal Engine.
- OR equivalent experience.
- Strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded, networked environment.
- Experience with Xbox Live, PSN, Steam or other online gaming platforms.
- Experience developing: sign-in flows, match making, progression systems, ugc/dlc systems, leaderboards.
- Experience developing, deploying, monitoring, and maintaining cloud based live game services or multiplayer games.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.