Senior Network Support Specialist
City : Toronto
Category : ITS Network Services
Industry : Education
Employer : Seneca
Reporting to the Team Lead, Network Services, the Senior Network Support Specialist is responsible for the management of the local area, wide area, wireless and voice networks that serve the college, including associated software and hardware support, issues and problems diagnoses and applying corrective solutions.
Responsibilities include the assignment of projects, their deliverables and the work efforts assigned to associated team resources, such as intermediate and junior level resources. Coach intermediate and junior network specialist using methods that include, coordination of peer reviews, one-on-one, work evaluation and recommended alternative actions.
Designs, Installation, Monitoring and Maintenance
- Designs, installs and maintains efficient LAN and voice networks for multiple platforms, including wireless support. Supporting physical layer (troubleshooting and remedies problems).
- Installs and configures the College’s Wide Area Network (WAN) that interconnects all Seneca campuses.
- Sets up, configures and maintains LAN switches; configures and sets up firewall (software /hardware).
- Responsible for supporting telephony across the college, including all current campus locations, all administrative stations and on- premise voice distribution systems.
- Maintains and configures wiring closet infrastructure.
- Monitors wired and wireless voice and network traffic; generates reports for detailed analysis.
- Proactively maintains all network and voice devices.
Planning, Coordination and Administration
- Coordinates and implements the installation and/or modification of analog telephony communications that includes hardware and software solutions that are primarily deployed for safety systems and facsimile systems.
- Assists with infrastructure planning, needs and growth.
- Develops documentation; including voice and network diagrams, voicemail setup, call queue setup.
Project and Resource Team Support
- Responsible for assigned project planning, execution and tracking including, resource assignments, tracking progress and results, review and validate completed efforts, report status, issues and risks to the Manager/Team Lead.
- Work with the Team Lead/Manager to assist intermediate and junior specialists including, review of performance, validate work and recommend alternative approach and coaching and mentoring.
- Troubleshoots network communication and distributed database problems with specialty test equipment and determines the origin of problems and applies solution. Uses and deploys network diagnostic tools including: sniffers, data packet analyzers, voice/ data traffic monitoring tools.
- Researches, evaluates and recommends various software and related hardware solutions for college-wide inter-networking strategies.
- Responsible for security management, including, but not limited to, system passwords, access rights on all voice and network appliances.
Other Duties as assigned
- Minimum completed three (3) year diploma/degree in Computer Science, computing and networks, or telecommunication or related field. If in a related field, please state how it is related.
- Network or voice related certification associated with a nationally recognized and related certification body (ie. Comp TIA A++/Network+, CCNA, CCNP) is required. Certifications must be in good standing.
- Minimum five (5) years of hardware and software related experience within the voice and network infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of IEEE related standards for best practices in building and maintaining infrastructure.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Communication skills: to end users at their level of computer literacy, which ranges from novice to advanced users, both orally and written.
- Understanding and problems investigation; applying simple or complex principles where needed for rectification.
- Problem analysis in hardware/software-related within the voice/ network infrastructure.
- Networking protocols, programming of network equipment, programming of voice equipment.
- Switching equipment, firewalls, bridges, routers, packet shaping / prioritization devices, voice gateways.
- Extensive knowledge and use of diagnostic software and hardware to troubleshoot and isolate voice or network performance challenges by protocol and connectivity.
- Interpret, create or modify connectivity listings, voice/ network drawings, and traffic routing diagrams which are used as both troubleshooting and operation artifacts.
Note: A skills assessment test may be administered during the recruitment process.
We are extremely proud to be celebrating 14 years as one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers for 2022. We are honored to be a leader in the education space, by offering an exceptional workplace for our employees. Here are some of the things that make Seneca College a great place to work:
Family Friendly Benefits, Pension Plan, Education & Career Development, Vacation and Time Off, Wellness, Health Benefits, Insurance, Retirement, Other Perks & Discounts
Link to Seneca’s Career Page to learn more: https://www.senecacollege.ca/human-resources/careers/benefits.html
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We are proud to be building the equitable Seneca committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of lived experiences, perspectives, and approaches. Joining Seneca means being part of an inclusive community working hard to dismantle barriers to access, student success, and employee potential.
Seneca is committed to sustainability, demonstrate by our earned silver STARS rating from the Association of Sustainability in Higher Education. With the release of its first sustainability plan, Seneca is focusing on four priority themes: leadership, community, education and research, and operations.
Check out Seneca’s Sustainability Plan: https://www.senecacollege.ca/content/dam/projects/seneca/about/sustainability/documents/seneca-sustainability-plan.pdf
Now is your time to join Seneca, where you will have the opportunity to give back to society by supporting the education of students.
Learn more : https://youtu.be/HXsP9bwQO9E