Senior Municipal Engineering Designer
City : TORONTO
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Municipal Engineering Designer - ( 230001CT )
Many of the world’s top engineers and scientists come together in our Water business because they view a community’s interaction with water a bit differently—as a single holistic system, rather than unconnected networks divided by jurisdictional boundaries. Working throughout the hydrologic cycle, we are delivering sustainable solutions to make sure water is where it should be and available when needed. Our experts guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. Every day, we help communities improve, reuse, and protect this precious resource for future generations. By 2025 we’re hiring 2,000 people (like you) to join our team. Grow with us, H2O+U.
Stantec is seeking a Senior Municipal Engineering Designer to join our Water team. The role will be based in our Toronto office location (hybrid).
This role offers an opportunity for leading and developing designs on technically challenging storm and sanitary conveyance projects for clients within Toronto and the GTA. You will be working as the design leader of a project team alongside a Project Manager leading municipal conveyance designs on a broad variety of projects from small diameter sewers to large box-culverts with complex utilities and locations. This role will provide an opportunity to offer guidance and mentorship to supporting designers and developing professionals. You will be recognized as the project technical leader.
You will be performing a variety of tasks which may include the development of engineering designs, technical reports, and drafting and supporting proposals. Tasks will include technical data compilation / assessment / validation, specification development, technical report writing, cost estimation and engineering calculations. Project Management work, including liaising with clients, budgeting, scheduling, and coordination activities may also be required.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform civil conveyance design for storm and sanitary sewer projects, from preliminary design to detailed design, tendering and construction inspection, with consideration for minimizing impacts and constraints due to environmental and permitting requirements.
- Preparation and guidance of engineering calculations, design drawings, technical specifications, and construction documents.
- Preparation of proposals and technical reports as technical lead of the project team.
- Take responsibility in managing project deliverables and schedule with the project manager.
- Provide guidance for coordination with construction activities, including input and clarification of the design during construction.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong capability of developing municipal conveyance designs for water and wastewater infrastructure from conceptual level to detailed design and construction.
- Ability to work in a flexible office environment, including working within the office setting, or working remote from home where required.
- Strong ability to read and interpret 2D and 3D CAD drawings.
- Thorough understanding of construction methods, such as open-cut and trenchless (microtunneling, jack and bore, etc.) for sewer and water infrastructure.
- Understanding of storm and sanitary sewer rehabilitation, such as relining, is considered an asset.
- Demonstrates strong understanding of conveyance system construction elements as it relates to design in order to select construction methods and defining work area limits.
- Ability to provide guidance to junior and intermediate designers and supporting team members for collective project deliverables and to develop skills. Be recognized as a technical leader in municipal design.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Ability to complete tasks to meet project budget and schedule.
- Demonstrated creativity, foresight and engineering judgment in anticipating and solving problems.
- Strong understanding of engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others.
- Project Management experience, such as budgeting, scheduling and coordination between stakeholders.
- Program Management experience for infrastructure improvements is considered an asset.
- Effectively communicates project issues with the contractor, project team and clients in the execution of engineering projects.
- Strong presentation, technical and communication skills.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office Suite is required; proficiency in engineering applications such as AutoCAD and MicroStation software packages are considered an asset.
- Understands and implements industry standards and manuals as well as client and regulatory agencies standards and requirements. Understanding of City of Toronto Sewer and Watermain Design Criteria and Specifications are considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Environmental or Civil Engineering from an accredited university.
- Professional Engineer or Certified Engineering Technologist registered in Ontario.
- Minimum of 15 years of municipal conveyance design including related co-op or internship work experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Organization : BC-1656 Water-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 22, 2023, 7:06:01 AM
Req ID: 230001CT
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans