Senior Mining Hydrogeologist
City : ONTARIO
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Mining Hydrogeologist - ( 230002JK )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We are seeking a Senior Mining Hydrogeologist to join our Canadian hydrogeology team with an opportunity to reside in one of our hydrogeology centered offices (St. Johns, NFLD; Fredericton, NS; Waterloo, ON; Winnipeg, MB; Edmonton, AB; Calgary, AB; Burnaby, BC). The position will join the Hydrogeology Technical Team of Stantec’s Environmental Services Business Line.
Your Key Responsibilities
As a Senior Hydrogeologist, you will play a key role in a wide variety of mining projects and must be able to work within multi-disciplinary teams on baseline and impact assessment projects, feasibility studies, hydrogeologic assessments and contaminant investigations, and rehabilitation projects. The role will involve managing a multi-discipline scope of work within a team of hydrologists, hydrogeologists, and geochemists and interacting directly with clients. Strong quantitative hydrogeology skills are required with the ability to interact with groundwater modeling and geochemical specialists.
The key responsibilities for this position include:
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company and client guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
- Prepare proposals, develop work plans, schedules, and budgets and management of projects/tasks.
- Develop preliminary conceptual hydrogeological models to support field program design.
- Design and oversee implementation of hydrogeology field investigations including drilling and logging of overburden and bedrock core, sampling of soil and bedrock.
- Complete laboratory and field investigations following applicable regulatory guidelines (e.g. the Mine Environment Neutral Drainage (MEND) guidelines, Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations, Ontario Regulation 240/00, etc)
- Support development of fate and transport models to support environmental impact assessments, remedial evaluations and risk assessments.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams on baseline and impact assessment projects, feasibility studies, groundwater and surface water assessments and contaminant investigations, and rehabilitation projects.
- Prepare technical reports and client presentations summarizing project work, findings and recommendations.
- Travel as required to various field sites with overnight travel sometimes required.
- Advanced skills in technical writing.
- Demonstrate sound understanding and application of established practices, standards, and guidelines.
- Assignments/projects are advanced in nature and require the application of mature knowledge.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Excellent communication skills: verbal, business writing, electronic communications and presentations.
- Ability to work under little supervision and work well with others to achieve group results.
- Ability to mentor junior and intermediate staff.
- Ability to work on several projects or tasks during any given day on a consistent basis.
- Strong business development, client management, communication, and financial management skills are essential.
- Must be able to manage time, be organized, and set priorities.
- Maintain a disciplined approach to project execution and technical excellence.
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to make timely decisions.
- Possess proficient skills in communication and technical information exchange with clients, engineers and scientists, government regulators and agencies, and academia, as well as non-technical communication to the public.
- Participate in Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work.
- Possess a strong knowledge of Ontario and federal mining-related water resources acts, regulations, policies and guidance and knowledge of mineral exploration methods, mine waste disposal methods and mineral processing methods.
- Experience with numerical groundwater flow and transport modeling is considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- Graduate degree from a Geoscience or Engineering program with an emphasis on hydrogeology.
- A minimum of 5 years of mining-related hydrogeological experience.
- Existing professional registration or ability to work towards a professional registration (P.Geo. or P.Eng.)
Majority of time spent in office environment with prolonged sitting and computer work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan, Canada-New Brunswick, Canada-Ontario, Canada-Alberta, Canada-Manitoba, Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada-Nova Scotia, Canada-British Columbia
Organization : BC-1609 EnvSvcs-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 22, 2023, 6:16:51 AM
Req ID: 230002JK
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans