Senior Mechanical & Pipe Stress Engineer, Integrated Design
City : BRITISH COLUMBIA
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Mechanical & Pipe Stress Engineer, Integrated Design - ( 23000235 )
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there’s no end to the scope and significance of your work — and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful.
Join an integrated team that is working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world. Our team works on diverse industry areas such as generation – thermal, hydropower and other renewable sources of energy, transmission and distribution, oil and gas, and mining.
Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. You’ll find yourself working with leaders in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
We are excited to announce a new opportunity for a senior mechanical & pipe stress engineer within our Integrated Design Team! The home office for this role can be in any location in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario where the Energy & Resources (E&R) Business Operating Unit (BOU) has a presence.
The Integrated Design Team was created in the E&R BOU to enhance our commitment to exceptional project execution through integrated global working. The Integrated Design team is a group of engineers, designers and technologists organized by discipline with transferrable skills intended to augment projects across all of E&R. Through cross training of skills, increased collaboration, and improved usage of global design centers, we are evolving our organization to an appropriate balance of project delivery via frontline Business Centers (BCs) and Integrated Design teams. This will encourage a ‘right person-right job’ approach for all projects and clients, maximize the effectiveness of our resources, increase our agility, and ultimately grow our overall portfolio of work while providing valuable growth opportunities for our team members. It is an exciting opportunity for mechanical stress engineering support of a broad spectrum of projects in the E&R space.
Purpose of the Role
As part of the Integrated Design team, the senior mechanical & pipe stress engineer is responsible for working independently on projects ranging in size and complexity through all phases of a project lifecycle. A focal point of the position is pipe stress analysis, but you will also provide general mechanical engineering support to projects. You will have diverse exposure to projects across the Energy and Resources business operating unit, which includes Mining, Materials, and Metals, Oil & Gas, and Power and Dams. You will interact with frontline business center staff regularly and are comfortable leading projects and interfacing with clients.
Continuous improvement and innovation are important to you, as well as streamlining deliverable production and enhancing Stantec’s library of standardized calculation templates and documents.
Mentoring and supporting junior staff is an important element of the role.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Holds paramount corporate HSSE requirements and promote a culture of HSSE excellence.
- Perform, check, and document static pipe stress calculations for below and above ground piping systems.
- Experience with dynamics pipe stress analysis is desired.
- Experience with design by analysis is desired.
- Evaluate pipe loading conditions on equipment, including tanks, vessels, pumps, compressors, etc.
- Execute calculations to develop loading conditions for use in pipe stress analysis, including thermal anchor movement, seismic loading conditions, wind and snow loading conditions, slug flow loading, differential settlement, etc.
- Act as a technical advisor on more unusual or complex issues and guide staff on solutions.
- Review mechanical client specifications for use and design compliance; produce deviations, if needed.
- Select, design, and evaluate pipe supports.
- Prepare pipe support load tables for distribution to the structural team for use in structural design.
- Collaboratively and proactively work with all disciplines to resolve challenging design issues.
- Manage scope, schedule, and budget for tasks assigned to you.
- Coordinate with Process and Mechanical disciplines to determine Process data and any special Process requirements or equipment operation modes.
- Review piping isometric drawings and plans and sections for stress input.
- Perform advanced engineering design tasks on assigned projects under limited to no supervision, including engineering drawings, calculations, engineering reports, and presentations.
- Oversee and manage the quality of project deliverables using Stantec’s quality control guidelines.
- Integrate continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- Contribute to the development of standardized calculation or design templates.
- Manage and execute mechanical engineering deliverables on multiple projects in a dynamic work environment.
- Engineer of record for designs and documents you create and oversee.
- Provide direct mentoring to assigned staff; develop staff skills and abilities by providing guidance and mentoring to strengthen technical abilities.
- Provide input into Design Basis Memorandums (DBMs).
- Create implementation instructions and scopes of work for construction work packages.
- Create project and material specifications.
- Participate in client/vendor/contractor meetings potentially including HAZOP, 3D model reviews and design reviews.
Your Credentials and Capabilities
- Expert level experience in stress analysis and flexibility calculations for various systems such as pump piping, pump/compressor piping, large storage tank piping, PSV piping, large diameter piping, underground piping, high temperature (creep range) piping, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of piping codes, including CSA Z662 and ASME B31.3.
- Familiarity with a wide range of project delivery models including E, EP, EPC, EPCM. Well versed in basic project management practices.
- Expert level familiarity with Caesar II or AutoPIPE pipe stress software. Familiarity with NozzlePRO and FEPipe is an asset.
- Familiarity with mechanical design software (Autodesk, Bentley and Hexagon products) including AutoCAD, AutoPLANT, CADWorx, Inventor and PV Elite. Familiarity with other related software such as AFT Fathom and Arrow is an asset.
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Participates and collaborates in multidisciplinary project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought with a passion for successful outcomes.
- Demonstrates creativity, foresight, and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving problems.
- Thorough understanding of mechanical engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas proactively and effectively to others.
- Detailed understanding of and ability to execute/work with project deliverables such as Process Flow Diagrams, P&IDs, Isometrics, General Arrangements, equipment list, line list, etc.
- Detailed understanding of various equipment used in heavy industrial settings such as vessels, tanks, heat exchangers & coolers, heaters, rotating equipment (pumps and compressors), packaged equipment, valves & specialty items.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work across multiple offices and geographies while managing competing priorities.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and a proven ability to write clear, thorough technical reports.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited university. At least 15 years of mechanical engineering work experience related to E&R projects.
- Professional Engineering designation in home jurisdiction with eligibility for registration in other jurisdictions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan, Canada-Ontario, Canada-Alberta, Canada-Manitoba, Canada-British Columbia
Organization : BC-1554 E&R BOU-CA Integrated Design
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : May 15, 2023, 7:20:50 AM
Req ID: 23000235
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans