Senior Mechanical Engineer, Material Handling
City : Toronto, ON
Category : ERI - Resources
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
At WSP, we're continuing to grow and develop our expertise by hiring a Senior Mechanical Engineer - Material Handling to join our Greater Toronto Area (GTA) Resources Group, operating as a technical expert on engineering design challenges for our clients across multiple industries. As a Senior Mechanical Engineer - Material Handling within the Resources Group, you will work on both new construction and brownfield projects. The Resources Group provides service to the mining, Ag-Industrial, Food and Beverage, Chemical/Manufacturing and Pulp and Paper Industries. You will apply your material handling expertise on project work from conceptual design and studies through to project completion. Effective communication, technical quality, cost effectiveness, building and maintaining client relationships, and providing guidance to a team of designers and junior engineers are integral parts of this role.
Our team is growing, and as a result we're adding engineers and designers to our group. As part of the Resources team in GTA, Ontario, you'll be responsible for driving forward our ambitious plans to enhance our service offering in the province and beyond, through your work with a close-knit team of engineering specialists, professionals, and technical staff.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Responsible for the design of bulk material handling systems including design calculations for conveyors and feeders, conveyor systems, chutes, bins, hoppers, transfer systems and other equipment
- Selection of mechanical equipment components including the selection of drives, bearings, pulleys, shafts, scales for material handling equipment
- Material handling system layouts and integration into the project layout
- Make technical decisions, take responsibility on technical matters, and answer technical questions during the construction and commissioning of bulk material handling systems
- Supervision and guidance of team of designers and junior engineers
- Perform engineering calculations, review and sealing of documents
- Prepare technical specifications, datasheets, requisitions and perform technical bid evaluations of material handling equipment
- Build and maintain client relationships and respond to client requests, travel to various client sites, attend project meetings and conduct field reviews as required
- Design of dust collection systems and dust suppression systems will be considered an asset
- Always ensure health and safety policies are followed at all sites
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Eight to Fifteen years’ experience in the design of bulk material handling systems
- Knowledge of CEMA standards, CSA standards
- Knowledge of material handling software tools (Belt Analyst)
- Registered Professional Engineer in Ontario, other provinces/states a benefit
- Must be able to attend industrial sites and observe all applicable safety regulations
- Be fluent in the English language with excellent verbal and written communication skills with working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of programs
- Ability to work and complete tasks independently, make decisions and take responsibility on technical matters
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must possess a team player attitude and be able to work in project team environment