Senior Marine Biologist
City : BURNABY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Marine Biologist - ( 22000290 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with a creative spirit and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We are actively seeking a talented and ambitious Senior Marine Biologist to join our marine team in our Burnaby, BC office. The successful candidate will work in a team environment and contribute to environmental impact assessments, environmental effects mitigation and monitoring programs, research projects and permitting. Depending on level of expertise, tasks may include conducting or planning field work, data analysis, report and proposal writing and reviewing, preparing and delivering presentations, and business development. The successful candidate will help shape our marine practice in BC and beyond.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage, plan, and lead marine field programs (marine fish, marine mammals, intertidal, water and sediment quality)
- Prepare Fisheries Act authorization applications
- Contribute leadership to the group by providing supervision, training, technical direction, and mentoring to junior and intermediate staff
- Assemble, manage, and analyze large marine datasets or lead junior and intermediate staff to do so
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work, and deliver quality reports on schedule and within budget
- Lead the pursuit of new business development opportunities by preparing proposals and building and maintaining positive client relationships
- Understand recent and existing practices and techniques for sampling and analysis of data from marine intertidal, subtidal and pelagic environments
- Embrace and promote Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proven technical, communication, writing and organization skills.
- Familiarity with coastal marine ecology and knowledge of current provincial and federal. government regulatory requirements.
- Required experience in:
+ working in a collaborative team environment
+ developing field programs and methods to meet specific project objectives
+ preparing Fisheries Act authorization applications and environmental assessments federally and provincially, preferably in British Columbia
+ leading field crews in the execution of marine field programs including developing health and safety protocols
+ collecting, assembling and analyzing data (statistical experience is preferred)
+ leading the preparation of complex, high-consequence technical reports, possibly multi-disciplinary
+ leading proposals of varying sizing, contributing to large proposals
+ business development through client relationships and/or technical expertise
+ leading junior and intermediate staff in data management and report preparation
- Experience in some or all the following is an asset:
+ developing habitat offset and restoration plans
+ construction monitoring and environmental management planning
+ working with and guiding clients
+ diverse and dynamic projects
+ enjoying working on multi-disciplinary scopes of work
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Biology is required and a M.Sc. or PhD in Biology is preferred.
Registered Professional Biologist accreditation required.
Minimum of 12 years of experience as a marine biologist, with experience in marine ecosystems in BC.
Consulting experience is required.
Other types of training are assets: SVOP, MED training, marine first aid, dive certification (up to and including commercial diver).
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods.
Fieldwork may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather and/or variable sea conditions. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Job : Biologist
Organization : BC-1232 Environmental Services-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 25, 2022, 2:06:11 PM
Req ID: 22000290
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans