Senior Manager, US Taxation
City : Edmonton
Category : Permanent Full Time
Industry : Utilities
Employer : EPCOR
Highlights of the job
We are hiring a full time, permanent Senior Manager, US Taxation position. This position has a flexible work location, which can be located either in the United States where EPCOR has offices and operations or in Edmonton, AB.
The Senior Manager, US Taxation is accountable for the performance of EPCOR’s US taxation function. This includes ensuring accurate and timely preparation of the Company’s US income and other tax returns, US tax provision items for financial reporting purposes, US tax-related responsibilities for business development activities and development/implementation of appropriate tax planning strategies.
This position may be eligible for EPCOR hybrid work program!
What you’d be responsible for
- Overseeing accounting for income taxes for the US groups of companies.
- Overseeing US tax-related portions of business development projects.
- Developing, implementing and reviewing the business plan within the context of the Treasury Group business plan (including mission, vision, values, strategic positioning, operational plan and resource plan).
- Ensuring EPCOR’s taxation standards are developed, revised and implemented on a timely, proper and consistent basis across the company.
- Planning and identifying the necessary budget requirements and the provision of exceptional processes to ensure compliance with tax laws and regulations.
- Analyzing and identifying issues impacting operational performance and establish initiatives for continuous improvement to help ensure that no material interest or penalties are incurred in relation to late or incorrect tax filings, returns, remittances, payments or instalments. Ensuring that prudent taxation strategies are implemented to minimize taxes at all times in compliance with relevant tax law and jurisprudence.
- Ensuring compliance with new and existing US tax laws and regulations; timely and accurate recording of all tax-related liabilities and expense. Ensuring the timely, accurate preparation and submission of all forms of tax filings, returns, remittances, payments and instalments. Overseeing all US tax-related compliance audits for US taxing authorities.
What’s required to be successful
- Possess a Professional Accounting Designation.
- 4+ years of managing tax professionals.
- 6+ years of experience preparing and reviewing large-company, US corporate income tax returns and other compliance filings.
- 3+ years of leading US tax-related business development activities and overseeing tax structuring for large companies.
- Experience in the construction industry and/or a large contracted-commercial setting would be a significant asset
- Experience with Canadian Corporate income tax returns, filings and business development activities would be an asset.
- Completion of a formal US tax-related course (Master of Taxation, or similar).
- Able to successfully apply the relevant knowledge to ensure full compliance with accounting for income tax rules under IFRS and US GAAP.
- Working knowledge of regulatory accounting principles would be an asset.
Other important facts about this job
Hours of work: 40 hours per week
Application deadline: May 24, 2023
Internal EPCOR Employees please ensure that you are using your “@epcor.com” email address.
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Glassdoor or Facebook!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.