Senior Manager, Special Loans & Advisory Services
City : TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Category : Audit | Compliance | Legal | Risk
Industry : Financial/Banking
Employer : RBC
Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
What is the opportunity?
Reporting to the Director, Special Loans & Advisory Services, you will be responsible for managing a portfolio of complex and/or higher risk commercial relationships across a broad spectrum of industries. Constantly challenged, this role provides an excellent opportunity to support RBC’s business objectives by developing creative solutions with the goal of satisfying the Bank’s risk requirements, with a focus to retain relationships wherever possible. You will be required to manage relationships at the client level, along with internal partners and external advisors to optimize outcomes for the Bank. All of your skillsets will be utilized to achieve the overall mandate of mitigating financial, reputational and legal risk for the Bank.
What will you do?
- Be the primary point of contact for a portfolio of higher risk commercial accounts, responsible for the creation and execution of the Bank’s strategies for each client.
- Conduct negotiations with clients, ensuring a high degree of professionalism while treating all clients with the upmost respect.
- Conduct in-depth financial analysis along with operational reviews of businesses to understand historical and ongoing issues, evaluate projections and the likelihood of achievement.
- Evaluate credit structures and make recommendations based on each unique situation, with a view to both the Bank’s risk appetite and how best to work with each client.
- Prepare credit and risk rating submissions for approval in a timely manner, articulating financial analysis, operational risk, collateral assessments and strategy recommendations.
- Build and maintain relationships with external accounting, insolvency and legal advisors.
- Become a trusted advisor and resource to internal commercial banking and risk partners.
- Adopt a continuous learning mindset with respect to insolvency law, Bank products and risk appetite.
What do you need to succeed?
- 5+ years of commercial banking experience managing commercial / corporate relationships or 5+ years of corporate insolvency experience.
- Superior financial analysis skills, including the ability to analyze financial statements, projections, conduct ratio and sensitivity analysis for the purposes of risk assessment.
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving skills, with the ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with the ability to impact and influence others. Candidate needs the ability to listen, probe for information and synthesize information accordingly.
- Ability to build effective relationships with clients (including at senior management / executive levels), as well as internally with colleagues across the Bank and its external advisors to facilitate problem resolutions.
- Knowledge of Microsoft applications, with superior Excel skills preferred.
- Experience dealing with clients in a face to face manner.
Nice to Have:
- Professional designation (i.e. MBA, CPA, CIRP/LIT, CFA).
- Previous risk management experience (including credit adjudication).
- Understanding of the Bankruptcy & Insolvency Act as well as insolvency litigation processes.
- Knowledge of commercial banking products and processes.
- Previous distressed lending experience.
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including competitive compensation, bonuses and flexible benefits.
- An opportunity to do challenging work, where you will develop intricate knowledge of commercial account management, commercial credit risk management and client communication skills.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities.
- Ability to make a tangible impact to RBC’s business objectives and goals.
- Flexible work / life balance options.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative and high-performing team.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
At RBC, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. We are taking actions to tackle issues of inequity and systemic bias to support our diverse talent, clients and communities.
We also strive to provide an accessible candidate experience for our prospective employees with different abilities. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.