Senior Manager, Operational Risk Oversight – Control & Support Functions
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1B6
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 184763
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Purpose of Job:
Contribute to the overall success of the second line operational risk oversight over the Bank’s Control and Assist Functions (CSF). The Senior Manager is responsible for providing advisory and healthy challenge in the CSFs’ operational risk management practices, including the effective execution of all Operational Risk Management Framework tools in complying with the relevant operational risk policies and standards as well as ensuring proactive management of the top and emerging risks as identified.
• Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
• Leverage strong business knowledge, act as a sure advisor, provide value-added advice and independent effective challenge to the Control and Assist Functions in their operational risk management, utilizing key operational risk management tools such as Risk Control Self Assessments, operational risk scenario analysis, New Initiative Risk Assessment, Operational Risk Events escalation and assessment, issues management, and Key Risk Indicators reporting.
• Develop strong partnership, stay abreast of the business priorities and acts as the main point of contact to CSFs’ first line internal control teams, and applicable corporate assist functions globally.
• Pro-actively identify opportunities and assist enhancement to the operational risk oversight practice; Provide insight to assist the enhancement of the Bank's operational risk management framework tools, methodologies and program
• Uphold risk management thought leadership and rigor by assisting the Control and Assist Functions New Initiative Risk Assessments as well as facilitating Control and Assist Functions New Initiative Risk Review Committee meetings.
• Conduct thematic analysis and root cause problem solving on issues identified through operational risk events reviews, self-assessments, scenario analysis and other reviews/testing including those performed by Audit, Shareholder Auditors, Compliance and Regulators to find significant risks and ensure sound risk mitigations.
• Assist executive reporting on the business line operational risk profiles and represent Global Operational Risks to various risk committees as applicable, providing sound metrics, value-added advice and insight.
• Collaborate with other non-financial risks specialist areas as well as second line operational risk teams globally to ensure a holistic approach: Stays up to date on all relevant internal, external risk events, and industry development in order to drive awareness and focus on managing top and emerging risks.
• Assist various regulatory requirements as requested by OSFI/Internal Partners.
• Assist overall Operational Risk Oversight team mandate and deliveries as required; assist team initiative to enhance overall operational risk oversight practice and continue to build up team capabilities; assist the overall department and other Bank units as required.
• Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
• Champions a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
- University degree in business, mathematics, engineering or other related fields is required. Master degree in finance, economics or business are preferred.
- Strong knowledge in the business, product and end to end processes of wholesale capital market, lending, global business payment and treasury management business.
- 5+ years experience in business management, internal control, risk management, compliance, audit or related areas.
- Strong social and relationship-building skills working with senior levels of management as well as global teams.
- Strong communication (verbal and written), presentation and facilitation skills. Strong collaborator and skillful in stakeholder management.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.