Senior Manager, Modernization and Strategic Projects
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Technical Directors/Managers
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 175029
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
We are looking for a Senior Manager, Technology Integrations & Modernization Projects, International Technology & Integrations to join our International Technology and Integrations team to help us delivering complex and large technology programs in International Banking. This is an exciting opportunity to start with us on a challenging journey in Scotiabank
As Senior Manager of the team, you will participate and be accountable in all aspects for delivering complex Integration, Divestitures, Modernization and Transformation programs/projects across international banking. You will steer a highly skilled professional technology team, and lead large cross-functional and cross-country teams, ensuring initiatives are implemented according to technology standards and architecture, are on time and within budget and aligned with the organization’s strategic objectives.
You will not only get the opportunity to grow and learn from experts in the area, but also to enhance your leadership skills.
If you have extensive knowledge of the industry, technologies, architecture, project management methodologies, and thrive in a fast-moving environment - this is the position for you!
What will you do?
- Delivery of large and complex technology Modernization, transformation, divestitures and integrtions programs across International Banking, ensuring these are implemented on time and within budget. Projects often address technology solutions to problems or opportunities which are unprecedented.
- Ensures project status is accurately depicted and that major execution risks or issues are identified and addressed on a timely basis. This includes:
- Balanced consideration of business, technical and application architectural standards and emerging solutions
- Articulation of the key project risks and risk-mitigation plan to ensure that the project is delivered with quality, on time and on budget
- Management of the delivery process, leading the development, infrastructure, networking, testing teams in addition to coordination with business, and operations.
- Proactively identify key project issues with the potential to impact project objectives and lead the project team in developing creative/alternative solutions to mitigate the risk and satisfactorily address the issues in a timely and cost-effective manner
- The position requires expert project team building skills to create and sustain highly motivated groups with diverse, multi-country and multifunctional reporting units, including external parties that are most often not within the incumbent’s direct supervision. This includes maintaining the momentum of the project or program against the background of changing and occasionally conflicting priorities.
- Ensure a consistent project risk management and delivery practice across all initiatives. Assess and manages the impact that cultural differences can have in delivery timelines and project’s cost.
- Ongoing communication of project status, completing the monthly Project Status Reports and escalating issues to the Business Sponsor, IT&S Sponsor, the Head, or EVP, IT&S as required. Ensure the documentation and archiving of project activities, deliverables, tools and finders for use in future projects.
- In the context of managing programs, the position requires:
- Identification and management of dependencies between individual projects in the program
- Identification and management of the overall critical path
- Sufficient understanding of the business environment in order to asses the impacts on multiple businesses and/or geographies, and establish project sequence and priority accordingly
- Understanding the technical environment in order to assess operational risk associated with various solution and implementation options
- Simultaneous initiatives with sizable execution budgets and complexity each
- Significant number of Customers impacted by these initiatives
- Delivery intiatives require the coordination of multiple stakeholders in many geographies
- Work with high level of autonomy
- Global technology delivery capabilities, given the nature of the role
What do you need to succeed?
- You have comprehensive business knowledge (understanding of vision, financial objectives/how business functions and core processes interact/the strategic importance of projects, how they relate to Scotiabank’s goals, how projects interact/impact of change and/or delays in projects)
- You are passionate about designing and developing highly available, reliable, and scalable enterprise systems.
- You’ve been either a technology team lead in large initiatives and seen how different components of a complex architecture come together to deliver a product.
- Process knowledge: scheduling/budgeting/resource allocation/risk management/systems design/change management
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience managing and providing leadership to complex projects that have significant IT and operational components
- Proven IT experience with deep expertise in both the strategy and business needs of banking as well as technology
- In depth knowledge of systems development life cycle and project delivery framework
- Knowledge of core banking platforms, cloud technology, mid-tier systems, origination platforms, testing and production environments, continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD)
- Understanding of complex, leading-edge technology and how this can be used to support business processes
- You are an excellent communicator, planner and visioner, able to influence decision making across stakeholders.
- Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills in both English & Spanish
- Excellent relationship building and negotiation skills to foster strong supportive relationships with stakeholders across the International Banking region in a highly complex multicultural environment
- Experience managing multidimensional projects from concept to completion within a matrix environment across various functions and cultures
- Delegation assigning work to the various functional heads in ways that get the job done, sharing the responsibility without giving up the accountability
- You can map and execute short- and long-term plans for the team.
- Bachelors’ degree in technology
- PMP, Scrum, Agile Designation are an asset
- You love what you do but you are seeking a more challenging environment
What's in it for you?
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity and curiosity and celebrates success
- We provide you with the tools and technology needed to create meaningful customer experiences
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top technology companies around the world
- We hire you for your talent — not just a job — so you can grow with us. We’ll equip you for success not only in your role, but also in your career as a whole
- Dress codes don't apply here: being comfortable does
- Our work from home social channel offers weekly virtual yoga, social events, learning opportunities, and contests to share current experiences & promote wellbeing in our new remote environment
- Access to thousands of online and in-person courses so you can hone your current skills, or learn new ones
- A competitive rewards package that includes a base salary, a performance bonus, company matching programs on pension and profit sharing, paid vacation, personal & sick days, medical, vision, and dental benefits that start from day one and much more
- Free shuttle service to and from Union Station, onsite subsidized cafeteria with a chef, and an onsite fitness center
- Some of our perks & onsite offerings will be offline as we continue to monitor federal and provincial regulations around COVID-19
- Frequent travel required to international locations up to 2-3 weeks duration, depending on the assigned project(s). Departures on weekends are necessary and frequent
- Multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities arise with most work required under tight project’s deadlines
- Requires a high degree of mobility
Work conditions: Hybrid/Remote
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.