Senior Manager, Markets Compliance Officer
City : New York City, NY, US, 10281
Category : Compliance Officer
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 172425
Cost Centre: SCOTIA CAPITAL (USA) INC.
Employee Referral Program – Potential Reward: $3,500.00
Salary Range: 106,400.00 - 203,600.00
Please note that the Salary Range shown is a guideline only. Salary offered may vary based on factors, including, but not limited to, the successful candidate’s relevant knowledge, skills, and experience.
We are committed to investing in our employees and helping you continue your career at Scotiabank.
Purpose of Job:
The Markets Compliance Officer is responsible for providing compliance coverage to the U.S. securities sales and trading businesses and assisting the businesses in meeting applicable regulatory and compliance obligations. The Markets Compliance officer also provides support for the Bank’s Compliance Risk Management Framework and its related programs.
- Champion a customer-focused culture and assist the US sales and trading businesses in their effort to deepen client relationships by leveraging broader Bank relationships, systems, and knowledge.
- Provide day-to-day compliance support for securities trading and sales businesses by advising on the application of laws, rules, and regulations, as well as internal policies and procedures, to the businesses.
- Communicate with sales and trading management and US Compliance personnel on relevant compliance issues, the regulatory environment, and Compliance Department initiatives by actively participating in relevant business forums and internal meetings.
- Create and provide online and in-person compliance training for sales and trading staff and related support personnel. Coordinate with other Compliance officers to ensure training is consistent across businesses. In coordination with the Training Group, evaluate personnel in scope for training.
- Develop, draft, amend and maintain compliance policies, procedures and manuals outlining firm requirements, regulations, and best practices. Provide comments to relevant business and compliance policies and procedures as part of the internal review and governance process. Review written supervisory procedures to verify they reflect current practices and address regulatory requirements.
- Evaluate US and global new business proposals as required under NIRA/NIA policies. Provide a written description supporting the Compliance assessment of NIAs in line with the requirements of US compliance procedures.
- Coordinate with Internal Control on compliance risk assessments, independently conduct the effective challenge of compliance risk assessments, and adequately document the rationale for the Compliance view.
- Analyze new and proposed laws and regulations, determine the applicability and impact of laws and regulations for specific securities sales and trading businesses, and evaluate the impact of controls to address ongoing compliance.
- Participate in the review of monitoring and surveillance routines and respond to alerts or issues from Surveillance by investigating the circumstances surrounding trades or communications and escalating breaches.
- Investigate and respond to regulatory inquiries and examinations by obtaining requested trading data, analyzing any potential compliance issues identified, and preparing a written response.
- Conduct assigned monitoring and compliance processes in accordance with written compliance procedures and evidence completion of tasks.
- Monitor the regulatory environment for emerging legislation and policy statements, along with relevant trends and industry best practices applicable to the sales and trading businesses through review of publications, participation in industry associations, contact with regulators and liaison with counsel and auditors.
- Proactively identify issues and participate in remediation and regulatory change initiatives and provide regular updates to relevant stakeholders.
- Identify and escalate compliance issues and ensure Internal Audit and Compliance Testing findings assigned to Compliance are adequately addressed to facilitate timely closure.
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursue effective and efficient operation of responsibilities as a Compliance Officer in accordance with Scotiabank’s values and its Code of Conduct.
- Champion high performance and contribute to an inclusive work environment.
Education / Work Experience
- A minimum of 5-7 years of compliance experience, including experience providing advisory support to a FICC and/or equities sales and trading operation.
- Knowledge of relevant SEC and FINRA rules and regulations including transaction reporting, best execution, market access, Consolidated Audit Trail (CAT) requirements, etc.
- Experience responding to FINRA regulatory inquiries and examination requests/findings.
- Experience developing policies and procedures, providing compliance training, conducting compliance risk assessments and monitoring, etc.
- Strong analytical and investigative skills and demonstrated ability to operate at a strategic level.
- Able to coordinate across multiple management levels, jurisdictions, business lines and support functions to drive results.
- Able to operate with minimal direction, deliver work product of the appropriate quality, set goals, and manage priorities.
- Detail-oriented and able to coordinate potentially competing deliverables and timelines.
- Experience operating and coordinating programs across large matrixed organizations.
- Experience interfacing with Bank and securities regulators.
- Strong organizational, communication (oral and written), and interpersonal skills required.
- Bachelor's degree required. Post graduate degree (JD or MBA) a plus but not required.
- FINRA Principal qualification (Series 24) or ability to obtain the qualification after hiring.
Location(s): United States : New York : New York City
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Note: All postings in me@Scotiabank will remain live for a minimum of 5 days.