Senior Manager, Capital Policy and Planning
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Customer Service Representative
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 184123
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
- Reports to: Director, Capital Policy and Planning
- Direct Reports: None
Capital Management is one of the key strategic priorities of the Bank. The incumbent will be a critical member of the Capital Policy and Planning team and will support the processes that provide capital relevant information to Executive Management to assist them in making strategic decisions that impact the Bank. This will require the incumbent to build, enhance and maintain appropriate MIS that is integrated with other information used for decision-making purposes and for periodic reporting to OSFI. A key requirement of this role will be to provide support the Director Capital Policy and Planning and to the VP Capital Management to respond to leadership requests for capital related analysis/information, on an as-required and time-sensitive basis.
Is this role right for you? In this role, you will:
Forecasting and Planning
- Develop, enhance and maintain capital forecasting models for the Bank's monthly forecasts, OSFI quarterly multi-year forecast, Enterprise-Wide Stress Testing (EWST), Recovery and Resolution plans and Internal Capital Adequacy Assessment Report (ICAAR). This includes coordinating with multiple stakeholders to obtain inputs, compile data from many sources (spreadsheet based), performing complex calculations, summarizing Capital and Risk Weighted Assets (RWA) impacts and performing analysis to assess impact under Basel III and other applicable regulatory requirements.
- Prepare summaries and presentations to Senior Executives to illustrate the capital and RWA information, changes and drivers; Provide analytic support to respond to senior executives’ questions and/or what-if scenarios; and address any requests for expanded information from, OSFI or other regulatory bodies.
- Leverage data and analytics to provide insightful summaries and presentations for the impact of capital or RWA movements, regulatory changes, acquisitions and what-if scenarios on capital ratios.
- Play a key role in the preparation of common and preferred shares dividend proposals and calculation of interest on debt instruments for the Bank and its subsidiaries.
- Support other team members in connection with Peer Banks capital analysis, Solo Capital reporting & analysis and other tasks as needed.
- Enhance and maintain Business Lines Risk Weighted Assets (RWA) reports and track RWA growth and impact on capital ratio; and migrate the reporting data to a Power BI and/or other platforms for Business Lines consumption.
Support to Partners:
- Establish strong partnership within relevant departments across the Bank to ensure that assumptions are current and accurate and deliver promptly capital ratios’ projection.
- Work closely with Strategic Transaction Review to support the Bank's acquisitions/divestitures/restructuring initiatives through the preparation of scenario analysis for capital ratio impact and plausible stress scenarios; and work closely with Strategy Group to ensure alignment with bank strategy and provide frequent updates to executive management.
Operational Efficiency and Continuous Improvement
- Implement best in class data management practices and continuously strive to improve, simplify and streamline forecasting models and process. Refine forecasting models and data repositories to ensure clarity of complex calculations and assumptions.
- Develop and maintain a current knowledge base of Basel III rules. Leverage the knowledge in the development of a forward-looking MIS reporting/analysis.
- Assist the Director in building process documentation for the team's deliverables; in completing other deliverables to OSFI and/or Senior Management, on an as-required basis
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? - We'd love to work with you if you have:
- Undergraduate degree in in Finance/ Business / Economics or Applied Science. Graduate degree and/or financial designation (CPA, CFA or FRM) is preferred.
- 7-10 years experience in financial Modeling, financial analysis, data analytics or risk modeling.
- Strong financial acumen and deep understanding of forecasting & planning process, finance systems (Smartview, Hyperion, OBI), and data management principles.
- Advanced skills in Excel, VBA, SQL, Access, Power BI and/or Alteryx; and ability to apply best data management practices to large data sets and develop new models, refine existing models and processes.
- In depth knowledge of capital management concepts (Basel III, risk weight asset, capital elements and deductions … etc.)
- Ability to multi-task in a time-sensitive environment and high degree of flexibility and adaptability
- Strong analytical and research skills and ability to synthesize high quality presentations and excel summaries.
What’s in it for you?
- An inclusive & collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We offer a competitive rewards package: Performance bonus, Employee Share Ownership Program, and Pension Plan Matching, Health Benefits from day one!
- Your career matters! You will have access to career development and progression opportunities.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.