Senior Manager, Business Analyst – Retail & Small Business (Contract)
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 177190
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
The world is changing faster than ever and so are we!
“Big data” fed by “complex processes” representing “massive stakes” are not just buzzwords to us; they are a genuine reflection of our daily life. Our goal is to be nothing less than The Leading Bank in The Americas that puts Customers First. Achieving this will require us to assemble and retain a Winning Team that can both design and run highly-predictive decisioning and forecasting models that accurately reflect reality. To put things in perspective, our models underpin automated risk-management decisions and forecasts that impact millions of customers and keep hundreds of billions of dollars safe, every single day. We are fortunate to have a world-class team of Data Scientists and Model Operations personnel building and deploying incredible risk models. But they need your help.
Our Model Operations team is responsible for ensuring that every part of the model lifecycle, from planning to data selection, development to implementation, deployment to monitoring is as well documented, controlled, effective and efficient, as possible. Getting models to market quickly is important but getting them “right” is even more so. That is where you come in:
You are capable of poking around “under the hood”, asking questions ad-nauseam (in a polite and collaborative way), mapping real world processes to data flows and sources, accurately estimating financial impacts, and implementing analytic pilots to test your hypotheses while spec’ing out how our modeling teams should use what you discovered.
We are results driven, we work hard, we play hard, we nerd out and we bring service, smiles and solutions to every problem that we face; so should you.
What Are We Looking For?
We want talented, pragmatic, analytically-oriented business analysts who are equally at home mapping and translating operational processes into business rules / algorithms and data flows, as they are challenging and working collaboratively with a diverse range of stakeholders to discover what everyone “does” (and, in fact, doesn’t) know (or remember) in the interest of improving our automated decision-making, forecasting and capital allocation.
We want bright and energetic but disciplined minds who come armed with a bottomless sense of curiosity about everything, a passion for getting things done right the first time, the ability to prioritize, a knack for explaining complex issues in simple concise ways and a deep sense of personal and professional accountability.
The ideal candidate will be a consummate team player who is equally comfortable being a:
- Senior Business Analyst / Business Consultant / Senior Financial Analyst
- Process Engineer / Lead
- Senior Data Analyst
- Software Architect
Make an Impact
As Canada’s only truly global bank, we offer the opportunity to work in markets and with teams you may not otherwise get exposure to. You will be a critical member of a team collaborating, on a near daily basis, with a wide range of cross-bank stakeholders and internal partners including Data Scientists, Business Line & Operations leaders, Technology & Data teams, Finance, Model Operations, and internal challenge functions.
You will work, day-to-day under the direction of the Model Operations team, leveraging your analytic thinking and approach to support the efforts of either the Director, Forecasting Models or the Director, Decisioning Models to:
- Plan and manage initiatives,
- Map and / or re-engineer key processes, data flows and / or business rules
- Translate concepts into algorithms and architect implementation solutions in accordance with business needs, and internal / regulatory policies and guidelines.
Potential deliverables / outcomes may include (but not be limited to):
- Improved operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Quantitative analysis to support ongoing decision-making
- Business, implementation, and project plans that get executed to completion
- Business rules, financial formulae, and algorithms
- Recommendations of what else “we should look into / fix” next
Is This Role Right for You?
- You believe, first and foremost, in always doing the right thing and doing things the right way
- You are both deeply curious and highly pragmatic
- You are comfortable with data, analytic / technical and business processes
- You relish ambitious but realistic goals and are committed to achieving them
- You are comfortable initiating conversations and collaborating with diverse personalities
- You are social, engaging, not afraid to ask questions and relish the opportunity to both learn and challenge how things are done in a polite and respectful way
- You can prioritize activities to deliver the right balance of “quick wins” & lasting solutions
- You understand and embrace the responsibility and weight that comes with the fact that your work will impact numerous high-level stakeholders
- You look forward to sharing your ideas and insights through both high-quality effective and concise verbal & written communications
- You are professional, motivated AND FUN. We mean it.
What Do You Need to Succeed?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Information Sciences, Business / Commerce, Finance, or equivalent field
- A demonstrated history of problem solving and sound judgment
- Experience in leadership as a Management Consultant, Senior Business Analyst, Process Engineer / Lead, Senior Financial Analyst or Senior Data Analyst with a track record of accomplishments working on cross-functional teams
- Fluent English-language verbal and written communications: the ability to distill complex and ambiguous operational processes, business requirements / rules and data sets into process flows and analysis, concisely convey technical requirements and requests, prepare and edit high-quality documentation, and be accepted as a trusted advisor by peers
- Able to work remotely and on-site on multiple activities simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Strong fundamental understanding of business analysis, requirements definition, process mapping, data mapping and financial analysis
- 5+ years of overall experience in consulting, business analysis or process engineering roles translating complex human processes to mathematical algorithms
- Highly proficient with business productivity (ex., Visio, MS Project, JIRA, Teams, Lists), data governance / lineage (ex. Informatica, Collibra) and data management (SQL, Excel, PowerBI) tools
- Refined ability to translate data extraction, transformation, and analysis into queries / code (SQL)
Nice to Have’s
- Proficient reading, writing and speaking Spanish
- Domain expertise with retail & small business banking products and / or risk management practices
- Familiarity with credit risk models / scorecards
- Lean, Six Sigma, TQM or other process management frameworks and/or expertise
- An understanding of statistical prediction, estimation and forecasting models
- Programming experience (Python, SAS) with both legacy / traditional (RDBMS) and big data (Hadoop / Hive / Spark) systems
- An appreciation for advanced statistical approaches used to assess and address uncertainty
What’s in It for You?
We have an inclusive and collaborative work environment that values curiosity & ownership, encourages pragmatic creativity (i.e., true innovation), and celebrates success!
You'll get to work with and learn from an incredibly friendly and diverse group of accomplished leaders
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.