Senior Machine Learning Engineer (Data Science)
City : Toronto
Category : Permanent fulltime
Industry : Printing & Publishing
Employer : The Globe and Mail
The Globe and Mail is a national icon and one of Canada's most recognized media brands. We proudly serve as a trusted destination for Canadians seeking the highest caliber of journalism, and we've garnered international acclaim for our data visualization, design, and creative storytelling.
We are committed to fostering diversity and inclusivity by reflecting all Canadians in both the stories that we tell and the composition of our workforce. We are proud partners with organizations like Indigenous Works, Pride at Work, the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, and we are a signatory of the BlackNorth Initiative. Recognizing the importance of work-life balance, we offer flexible work arrangements and support programs. We also invest in our employees' growth through training and mentorship opportunities, enabling you to expand your skills and embrace new challenges.
No matter your position at The Globe, you'll be an integral part of an organization dedicated to making a positive difference in Canada. Join us.
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer at The Globe and Mail, you'll play a critical role in designing and developing innovative, large-scale machine learning solutions, driving excellence across our advanced technology stack. Your pivotal role extends beyond development – you'll champion the implementation of MLOps methodologies, collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, bring cloud architecture expertise to operationalize AI/ML analytics, and lead a high-performing team towards cutting-edge advancements in the ever-evolving field of machine learning.
- Spearhead the design and development of large-scale end-to-end machine learning solutions, driving innovation and engineering excellence across our technology stack and engineering teams.
- Champion the implementation of Machine Learning Operation (MLOps) methodologies, focusing on streamlining development and deployment through effective monitoring, validation, and governance of ML models.
- Collaborate closely with data scientists, data engineers, and product managers to deeply understand business requirements and translate them into effective and impactful machine learning solutions.
- Engage with internal stakeholders to probe and comprehend business processes, develop hypotheses, and bring structure to requests. Translate requirements into a robust analytic approach, participating in ongoing business roadmap planning and departmental prioritization activities.
- Serve as a machine learning engineering subject matter expert on cross-functional teams for small through to large strategic initiatives. Contribute to the growth of the Globe and Mail’s analytic community through knowledge sharing and collaboration.
- Bring deep expertise in cloud (i.e. AWS) architecture and DevOps to analyze, recommend, and implement enterprise-grade solutions for operationalizing AI/ML analytics.
- Lead and nurture a team of high-performing engineers and tech leads, fostering a culture of excellence through hands-on experience, mentorship, and constructive feedback.
- Stay apprised on the latest advancements in machine learning and implement cutting-edge techniques to enhance predictive capabilities, ensuring our solutions remain at the forefront of the industry.
- Advanced degree (Ph.D. or Master’s) in Computer Science, Machine Learning, or a related field.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in machine learning engineering, with a proven track record of successful project delivery.
- Expertise in designing and implementing scalable machine learning pipelines and models using tools and frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or scikit-learn.
- Expert-level proficiency in programming languages such as Python and/or Java.
- Deep understanding of natural language processing, recommendation systems, and computer vision.
- Experience in event-driven architecture using AWS Lambda, ECS/Fargate, API Gateway, Kinesis, DynamoDB, EventBridge, S3, SQS, and SNS.
- Proficiency in cloud architecture, security, CodePipeline, and CodeBuild.
- Experience building and maintaining robust, scalable, and low latency ML Model REST APIs.
- Familiarity with MLOps and DevOps principles, including continuous integration and continuous delivery, infrastructure as code experience using Terraform, CloudFormation, or CDK.
- Strong knowledge of software engineering best practices, version control, and collaborative development workflows.
WHY CHOOSE THE GLOBE:
The Globe’s mission is to deliver essential content – news, information, analysis and insights – for aspiring individuals and strong communities. The Globe is committed to providing a respectful and inclusive workplace that upholds our values of integrity, collaboration, innovation and accountability.
As Canada’s most respected media brand The Globe is dedicated to making a difference to Canada and you can make a difference by working with us.
- Competitive compensation to ensure we hire, retain and reward team members
- Hybrid work environment that promotes work-life balance
- Generous vacation and flexible work arrangements
- Parental leave top-up
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension plan
- Annual wellness subsidy
- On-site chiropractor and registered massage therapist
- Employee and family assistance program
- Free digital subscription to globeandmail.com and 40% off other Globe products
- Education assistance for external training courses
SUPPORTING YOUR GROWTH:
- We are committed to creating equitable opportunities for all employees, to enable everyone to reach their full potential. This commitment is embedded in our strategic plan and core values.
- There are lateral and upward advancement opportunities for rewarding and developing careers.
- We believe in mentorship and collaborative peer-to-peer learning and have both formal and informal programs in place to encourage knowledge-sharing.
- We support continuing education and provide both internal and external opportunities for training and development.
All offers of employment with The Globe and Mail are conditional upon the candidate being Fully Vaccinated. To be Fully Vaccinated is defined as someone who has received the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada (currently Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen) and has received the last dose at least 14 days prior to their start date. To prove they are Fully Vaccinated, all new hires will be required to provide evidence by emailing a copy of their vaccine dose administration receipt(s) to Human Resources prior to their start date. Those seeking exemption based on one or more of the protected grounds in the Human Rights Code will need to provide their request for accommodation to Human Resources for approval. If the accommodation request is not approved and the candidate is not Fully Vaccinated, any offer of employment will be revoked.
THE GLOBE AND MAIL IS DEDICATED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN THE WORKPLACE
The Globe and Mail is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We believe this strengthens our business and our journalism. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all groups, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, age, and physical ability. As required by the Federal Contractors Program, The Globe also tracks the proportion of staff in the four Employment Equity categories (Women, Aboriginal Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, and Members of Visible Minorities) to ensure we are reflecting the areas in which we work.
The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.