Senior Liability Underwriter, Ontario Region (Toronto, ON, CA)
City : Toronto, ON, CA
Category : Other
Industry : Insurance
Employer : Zurich Canada
Are you looking for a caring, collaborative, values-driven workplace with inspiring teammates and leaders? Do you have the ambition and desire to be the best and thrive at the most impactful global insurance provider in the world? Look no further than Zurich Canada.
If you have commercial liability underwriting experience, and are looking for a new challenge, we would love to hear from you.
Zurich Canada is currently looking for a Senior Liability Underwriter, Ontario Region to generate a pipeline of new business opportunities whilst managing a renewal portfolio.
Reporting to the AVP, Liability Manager Ontario Region, you will Working within the Ontario Region Liability Team based in Toronto, You will generate a pipeline of new business opportunities whilst managing a renewal portfolio of large and multinational clients with revenues over $300M. Supported by a dedicated local team of Underwriting Assistants, Liability Risk Engineers, International Service Specialists, Pricing Actuaries and an industry leading claims team, this is your opportunity to join a growing and highly successful organization, named for a second year in a row as one of Greater Toronto’s Top employers.
This is a unique opportunity to build your knowledge and experience for the future in a supportive environment where your voice matters.
What You Will Do
• Proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
• Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
• Qualify accounts to meet with the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
• Make agent/broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
• Negotiate Terms & Conditions and close deals.
• Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase product density with the account.
• Participate in Sales Team meeting as related to assigned brokers and / or territory.
• Proactively engage in the target account process, managing a qualified list of opportunities 90 to 120 days prior to effective date.
• Update required systems with details of broker / client visits and account status within specified time frame.
• Serve as key contact for assigned target accounts.
• Develop strong broker and client networks as related to industries underwritten by Business Unit.
• Calculate Target Price accurately by utilizing underwriting tools appropriately.
• Measure exposure/analyze risk.
• Initiate product development idea.
• Assist in training and developing staff.
• Provide expertise on coverage issues with claims programs and guidelines.
• Contribute to development of u/w manuals, programs and guidelines.
• Approve/place facultative purchases
• Develop and lead marketing presentations to new and current agents/brokers
• Promote the organization's products and services in order to increase penetration within agency plant
• Ensure the successful completion of projects by maintaining continuing dialogue with business unit sponsors during implementation of major projects
• Diagnose and develop recommendations to solve unique business unit and customer problems
• Lead complex technical or long-term (over 6 months) business projects to implement new or changed systems, programs or products
• Investigate, recommend and implement leading edge technical solutions when they meet customer needs
Job Qualifications - What You Bring To the Table
For Professional Onboarding Program (POP)-National Accounts
• Surety: Finance, Accounting, Banking
• Financial Lines (Public, Mgmt. Liab and FI): Accounting, Banking, Risk Management.
• Cyber: Cybersecurity, Finance, Management Consulting
• Construction: Banking, Mortgage, Finance, Construction
• Casualty: Manufacturing, GIG Economies, Finance, Risk Management
• Property: Finance, Banking, Facilities/Property Management, Engineering-Civil, Structural
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area. (ADD POP addendum)
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area (ADD POP addendum)
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 8 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Experience working on time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
• Experience working in a team environment
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Microsoft Office experience
• At Zurich, we are proud of our culture. We are passionate about Diversity, Inclusion, Equity and Belonging (DEIB). We want you to bring your whole self to work, and we want our employees to be reflective of the communities in which we live and work. Our DIEB initiatives are creating an environment where everyone feels welcome.
• We have a collaborative culture where diversity of thought is valued. We value your input and strive to give our employees the tools they need to make an impact.
• We care about our employees’ well-being and offer a comprehensive health/benefits plan with varying levels of coverage to suit your specific needs and a competitive total compensation package.
• We understand how important it is to rest, recharge and do the things you love. At Zurich, all employees receive a minimum of four weeks of vacation per year to do just that.
• We also understand that employees require time off for personal reasons. Maybe you have an appointment during a workday, a cultural or religious holiday you would like to observe, or you need time off to focus on your mental health. Zurich employees receive four personal days per year to be used at their discretion.
• We are committed to continuous improvement, and offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities.
• We care about our communities. Our communities are where our customers, people, and shareholders live and work. While we can be proud of the contribution to society Zurich makes through our core business of insurance, we must also give back to our communities through our talent, time and resources.
• We have won numerous awards for our workplace culture. We are proud to be one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers and to have received Insurance Business Canada’s 5-Star Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Award.
Zurich Canada is part of the Zurich Insurance Group, a multi-line insurer with approximately 55,000 employees worldwide serving customers in global and local markets. Zurich Canada has been a leading insurance provider serving mid-sized and large companies, including multinational corporations, in the Canadian commercial market for 100 years. With over 500 employees in offices across the country, Zurich offers the global strength of a top insurance provider combined with in-depth knowledge of industries and local markets. Zurich Canada aspires to be risk management professionals’ first choice as their premier partner to help meet the risk challenges of today and tomorrow. Read more at www.zurichcanada.com.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Only applicable for Canada: For Zurich Canada's commitment to diversity and accessibility please click here. If you would prefer to not receive future electronic messages from Zurich Insurance Company Ltd's recruitment management system, please email your request to have your job profile deleted from the system by clicking here. Zurich Insurance Company Ltd 100 King St., W., Suite 5500, Toronto, ON, M5X 1C9. www.zurichcanada.com