Senior IoT Application Engineer
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior IoT Application Engineer - ( 2200013V )
Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that works behind the scenes to support operational excellence. As part of the Innovation Office, the Digital Technology & Innovation team is composed of digital experts who conduct research and development to keep our teams—and our client’s projects—ahead of the technological curve. They implement established technologies and find emerging solutions for all business lines (Buildings, Energy & Resources, Environmental Services, Infrastructure, and Water), bridging existing knowledge domains and facilitating the integration of powerful tools and methods. The team’s goal is to make projects more efficient and help provide higher-quality results to our clients. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, a critical thinker, and highly interested in the application of new technologies and methods. The candidate will become a member of the Innovation Office, however, he or she will also be accessible to Stantec’s project teams to support project work as needed.
The Innovation Office, Digital Technology & Innovation, Digital Technology Development Program Group has an opportunity for a Senior IoT Application Engineer to perform duties related to the application of Internet of Things (IoT) principles and methods, research & development, incubation, standards development, and engineering & development of IoT projects.
In the Innovation Office Digital Technology & Innovation group, our digital experts conduct research and development to keep our teams and projects ahead of the technological curve. They implement established technologies and find emerging solutions for all business lines (Buildings, Energy & Resources, Environmental Services, Infrastructure, and Water), bridging existing knowledge domains and facilitating the integration of powerful tools and methods. Our goal is to make projects more efficient and help provide higher-quality results to our clients.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, highly interested in the application of IoT technologies, and a critical thinker. You will work closely with engineers, designers, marketers, program managers, and product managers to understand the target audience and drive the implementation of cloud-based services that will support our customers and serve Stantec’s Digital Twin ecosystem. The candidate will become a member of the Innovation Office, however, will be accessible to Stantec’s project teams to support project work as needed.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Assist in the development of Stantec’s Digital Twin solutions.
- Work in an agile development environment and collaborate closely with other development team members.
- Participate in and/or conduct design reviews that include requirements, development, system/component specifications, analysis, design, verification, and validation of IoT solutions.
- Develop solution architecture for challenging customer application needs in the cloud at a scale that is easy to use, lean, extensible, and well documented.
- Develop LOE (level of effort) estimates for digital development.
- Diagnose performance issues and propose and implement code improvements.
- Prove scalability with load-generating tools.
- Stay abreast of new technologies related to IoT and evaluate for potential business use.
- Define DevOps workflow processes.
- Leverage Azure resources and services to develop IoT solutions.
- Help collect raw data and send it upstream, support integration with machines, split it off to do Edge Analytics, and support integration with other systems.
- Assist with marketing and business development of Stantec’s IoT services to internal and external clients.
- Publish blogs, white papers and participate in research on IoT usage in the architecture, engineering, power, infrastructure, and environmental industries.
- Expert problem solver with a strong understanding of the broad range of software technologies and architecture design, planning, configuring & managing resources in Microsoft Azure and other cloud platforms.
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, and clients, etc. are sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Capabilities and Credentials:
- Strong understanding of the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) Industry.
- Experience with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Agile Development, SCRUM, or Extreme Programming methodologies.
- Specific knowledge of IoT connected devices, telematics, consumer electronics, wireless devices, and website and mobile app design/user experience is highly desirable.
- Understanding of emerging IoT technologies and communications protocols including; MQTT, HTRTP, JSON, WebSockets, notification engines, and some measure of implementation experience in Azure IoT services.
- Experience in one or more specific IoT / embedded / M2M industry; industrial IoT applications, home automation, business automation, asset tracking, smart cities, etc…
- Demonstrated use of OTA technologies to update SW on to distributed customer-premise devices; including sensor interfaces and calibration.
- Hands-on experience with nRF, STM32 SoC, Atmel, TI Sitara boards, NXP
- Working Knowledge on UART, I2C, SPI, Client, etc
- Knowledge of Eagle PCB design tool, Flash Tools, JTAG Debugger
- Solid background with communication protocols like Zigbee, LTE, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
- Advanced knowledge of configuration management systems, such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or related systems
- Experience with Azure and architecting highly available systems that utilize load balancing, horizontal scalability, and high availability
- Knowledge and understanding of Azure API Management, and RESTful services.
- Debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, CloudFormation of other frameworks)
- Experience in Microsoft’s Azure Digital Twins and IoT Hub
- Proficiency with Visual Studio and version control practices using git, including branching, collaboration, reviewing pull requests, and resolving merge conflicts ( GitHub, Azure DevOps, etc ).
- Understanding of data management and governance.
- Strong analytic and strategic thinking skills, applying critical thinking skills to develop innovative solutions.
- Strong understanding of high-volume, real-time processing.
- Familiarity with agile product development required
- Proficient with Atlassian Suite; Jira and Confluence
- Ability to anticipate and identify client needs and synthesize them into concepts and solutions.
- Ability to effectively organize, plan, prioritize, and manage time and competing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to capture and articulate client requirements and pain points for planning purposes.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, IT, engineering, or another area of the technology-related field (preferably BSCS/BSCE/BSEE).
- 5-8 years of professional development and automation experience in C , C#, Python, Ruby, Java, or related languages.
- 2 years of Linux experience and associated tools/languages.
- 2 years of TCP/IP networking, architecture, and core technologies (such as DNS, DHCP, HTTP, Routing, VPN).
- 2 years of multithreaded, distributed development experience.
- 2 years of experience developing and deploying production systems and/or software, specifically complex production systems that run in Azure.
- 2 years of development experience with Phoenix/Elixir.
- 1 years of experience specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools.
- Experience/knowledge in Microsoft Azure IoT suite of PaaS services.
Certification: Microsoft Azure IoT Developer Specialty or equivalent (preferred)
Typical office environment working computers and remaining sedentary for long periods. r. Insert vaccination language here
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada
Job : Applications Development
Organization : BC-1290 Innovation-DTI-Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 18, 2022, 10:40:50 AM
Req ID: 2200013V
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans