Senior Health and Safety Advisor (Moa, Cuba based)
City : ., AB
Category : Full Time Health & Safety
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Sherritt
Sherritt is a world leader in the mining and refining of nickel and cobalt – metals essential for the growing adoption of electric vehicles. Sherritt’s Technologies group creates innovative, proprietary solutions for natural resource-based industries around the world to improve environmental performance and increase economic value. Sherritt is also the largest independent energy producer in Cuba.
Across all of our operations, safety is our top priority and we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture. We offer a work environment where team members are truly valued, and have what they need to thrive in their role and make a meaningful impact.
An exciting opportunity exists at our Moa - Holguin, Cuba mine site for a Senior Health & Safety Advisor.
The purpose of this position is to provide expertise and support in the development and stewardship of the site Health and Safety programs. Specific duties will include monitoring health and safety activities in the field, hazard identification/control, facilitating occupational hygiene programs, Health & Safety program evaluation and promoting positive behaviours to attain compliance.
The work environment will be in an office and plant environment on a four weeks on, two weeks off rotational schedule.
- Apply extensive H&S/IH concepts into all aspects of daily work.
- Lead, manage and facilitate Health and Safety policies and procedures that are consistent with applicable legislation. Champion and steward all company health and safety policies and practices to the site stakeholders.
- Ensures knowledge is current on all existing and proposed changes in Health and Safety Regulations and effectively communicate to the site stakeholders the changes.
- Provides input and participates in general decision making on a variety of Health and Safety issues that impact the site. Promotes and presents the H&S decisions to the workforce and other site personnel.
- Organize and prioritize workload in order to complete tasks in a timely manner, meet strict deadlines set internal and external (governmental agencies). Prioritization of activities while ensuring health and safety programs are not compromised.
- Identifies and assists with system audits and site inspections.
- Determines needs, designs and coordinates major health and safety projects and initiatives.
- Facilitate preparation and quality review of monthly reports, data, documentation and statistics.
- Present new health and safety policies and practices to attain site personnel to buy into proposed changes and improvements.
- Coordinate audits of health and safety programs within the organization to identify and control significant loss producing exposure.
- Be an effective and approachable health and safety resource to internal stakeholders (management, supervisors, etc.) and external stakeholders (regulators, third party, etc.).
- Assist the EH&S Sub Director with accident investigations on site, producing subsequent reports and recommendations representing the company in a professional manner when dealing with involved parties. Responsible for ensuring timely compliance in all reportable incidents.
- Acts as a health and safety resource for the design and installation of new systems and equipment for the site.
- Create, implementing and managing a safety framework for the Mine.
- Requires minimal/no supervision.
- Enhances the site safety culture by influencing leaders throughout the organization on H&S policies, practices and procedures.
- Promotes compliance to H&S policies, practices and procedures and legislative compliance through positive correction of non-compliances.
- Improves health and safety of the company by development, implementation and effective communication of H&S policies, practices and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely compliance in all reportable incidents.
- Set the standard for job performance and professionalism within the H&S department.
Qualifications and Skills
- 10-15 years’ experience within a related health, safety and environmental role.
- Preference to be given to a candidate with Spanish and English skills.
- The position requires proven communication, organization, management, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to interface with personnel at all levels of organization (senior management, middle management, etc.) as well as various external stakeholders (regulatory, etc.).
- Experience in health and safety, mining methods, employee relations and business administration is also required.
- Ability to work under pressure in a face paced environment.
- Proven knowledge of all regulations and standards pertaining to areas of Health and Safety.
- Excellent leadership skills within the group (junior advisors) as well as encouraging a safety attitude in other departments within the company.
- Possesses and applies broad knowledge of theories, principles and techniques in the field of Health and Safety, plus working knowledge of related disciplines.
- Interpersonal skills with a measured sense of understanding for sensitive issues which expects highest levels of confidentiality and ethical behavior.
- Ability to anticipate analyze and recognize problems / workplace hazards.
- Competent in various Loss Prevention and Accident Investigation techniques.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Powerpoint).
- Strong communication and writing skills with experience in conducting presentations and preparing various reports for effective communication internally and externally.
What Sherritt Can Offer You
- Competitive salary with comprehensive benefits and retirement savings programs that holistically support employee wellbeing
- Generous paid time off to support and empower employee work/life balance
- Ongoing learning and professional development opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and dynamic work environment
Application Deadline: The job posting will remain open until a qualified candidate is selected.
We thank all candidates for their application. Only qualified candidates will be contacted directly and engaged in the interview process.