Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Tailings Dams/Mining, Foundations/Infrastructure, Geohazards/Stabilization) – Edmonton
City : Edmonton, AB
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc. We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
WSP E&I Canada is currently seeking Senior Geotechnical Engineers to join our team in Edmonton.
The Edmonton Geotechnical group is the largest geotechnical group within WSP E&I and is involved in a range of projects from conventional to leading-edge complex assignments in the area of foundation and infrastructure; design of tailings dams, pit walls and waste dump structures; and slope assessment and stabilization work related to geohazards. The diversity in projects and complexity provides the opportunity for the applicant to have a rewarding career in their practice area(s) of choice.
We are currently looking for Senior to Associate level geotechnical engineer(s) to add to the Edmonton group in the following practice areas:
- Tailings dams/mining,
- Foundations/infrastructure, and
The successful candidate(s) for the various positions will have a strong understanding of geotechnical engineering and engineering geology, as well as proven project/client management, and communication skills. The candidate will play a key role in the organization to deliver and/or review high‑quality engineering services and solutions to our clients. If you have a proven track record in the geotechnical/geological consulting environment, this opportunity will provide both professional and personal satisfaction and opportunities for growth. Additional details about the position(s) are provided below.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Use your technical skills to deliver high-quality engineering services with geotechnical investigations, conceptual and detailed engineering designs, technical specifications, drawings, and reporting.
- Use your skills in the area of dams and mining to lead the design, construction, monitoring, and/or safety review of oil sands dams/ tailings dykes, waste dumps and pit walls.
- Use your business sense to assist in maintaining and building strong client relationships and developing and growing the business for the long term.
- Use your leadership, project management, and interpersonal skills to manage projects and lead geotechnical and multidisciplinary project teams.
- Mentor, train, and develop junior to intermediate geotechnical engineering staff.
- Prepare and review technical proposals and reports.
- Collaborate with other Wood offices, geotechnical engineering staff, and a range of internal multi-discipline groups on various projects in Northern Alberta, and occasionally in the USA and international locations.
- You will always ensure health and safety policies are followed at all sites and take WSP's Life Saving rules to heart;
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- A university degree with a minimum of an undergraduate degree (preferably with a Masters or Ph.D. degree) in civil (geotechnical) or geological engineering from an accredited university.
- The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background, a minimum of 15 to 20+ years of relevant geotechnical design experience, and an ability to manage projects.
- A strong understanding of geotechnical engineering and engineering geology.
- Experience in geotechnical investigations, geohazard evaluations, air-photo/LiDAR interpretations, slope stability evaluation, instrumentation, and construction monitoring.
- Experience with the design, construction, instrumentation, operational reviews and/or reclamation of oil sands waste dumps, pit walls, and/or tailings dykes.
- Extensive experience with slope stability, seepage and deformation modelling.
- Specific knowledge and understanding of Northern Alberta geology would be an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring abilities, and a motivated team player.
- Excellent client relations and communication skills and abilities to manage project deliverables on time and budget.
- Excellent written communication skills to prepare work scopes, reports, presentations, and publications.
- A strong commitment to safety and sustainability
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with the Association of Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)