Senior Geotechnical Engineer
City : Calgary
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Geotechnical Engineer - ( 230004IZ )
At our core, we are a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing engineering and designs as individual as the people and projects that we touch. From approval and permitting to design, construction and closure, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything that we create. Join us as we assist mining companies in getting mined materials to communities around the globe.
Stantec is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our Mining, Minerals and Metals practice in our Vancouver, BC or Calgary, AB offices. This position will work collaboratively with other Stantec offices across Canada, the United States, South America and Australia, to support the service needs of our clients on local and international projects, primarily on metal, coal and large oil sands mining projects.
The focus of the position will be to engage our highly skilled team of engineers and scientists in the technical planning, design, and execution of a variety of projects in soils and bedrock environments, within one or more of our core areas of expertise as follows:
- Tailing Storage Facilities (TSF)
+ Traditional, thickened, paste, and filtered (dry stack) technologies
+ Engineer of Record (EoR) services
+ Dam safety and management services
- Pitwall engineering
- Waste Storage Facilities (WSF)
- Civil foundations and infrastructure design
- Closure and reclamation
- Field investigations and laboratory testing
- Geotechnical instrumentation and performance monitoring
This position has strong emphasis on communication and interaction with Stantec’s technical, professional and management personnel and clients. While the initial primary focus will be on mining projects managed out of the Vancouver or Calgary offices, it is expected that the candidate will have opportunities with mining teams in other offices.
Your Key Responsibilities
The Senior Geotechnical Engineer is responsible for providing a lead technical role and must have a strong technical background in geotechnical and civil engineering with knowledge of design, construction and closure practices for mining facilities, in a variety of climatic and seismic regions of Canada and the world.
The role will encounter varying degrees of technical oversight by clients and/or regulatory agencies. As a leader in the Stantec organization it is expected that the Senior Geotechnical Engineer will have a good business awareness and acumen. The person will need to possess a competent understanding of project/program management fundamentals and have a firm understanding of the relationship between technical delivery, project scope, costs, and schedule.
This position will also collaborate other key technical practice disciplines beyond civil/geotechnical in the successful delivery of complex, multi-disciplinary projects. These include but are not limited to geology, hydrogeology, water management, environmental practices/permitting, process design, mining, and pumping/piping among others.
Other responsibilities and essential job tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the planning and completion of geotechnical site investigations. This may include instrumentation, logging, sampling, and field testing.
- Lead the installation, monitoring and interpretation of data from geotechnical instrumentation.
- Lead analyses and design of complex earth structures.
- Support mine and tailings planning groups in the development and design of large mining and closure projects.
- Lead the preparation of technical design documents.
- Lead the development of technical drawings, figures and models.
- Lead the preparation of project technical proposals.
- Provide peer/senior review of technical deliverables and designs.
- Comply with and actively participate in Stantec and client safety programs.
- Lead work in line with Stantec Core Values and in accordance with the Stantec Quality, Safety & Environment Systems and Project Quality Procedures.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Critical and flexible thinking to provide tailored, practical solutions to our clients with a sound technical base, considering the time and recourses available.
- Experience in some or all of our core geotechnical areas of expertise noted above.
- Demonstrated ability to lead or mentor a team of engineering professionals in various stages of career development.
- Understanding of mining operations and mine waste management, geotechnical material characterization (particularly mined materials), slope stability, deformation analyses, liquefaction potential, seismic hazard assessments, seepage and foundation characteristics of dams/tailing storage facilities.
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to make timely decisions or lead and develop others to do so.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English (both written and oral). Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese or French is an asset.
- Proven ability to work in a professional team environment with a diversity of cultures, gender, nationalities, religions, sexual orientations, age, etc.
- Experience in a consulting engineering environment at a senior technical management level.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of programs and CAD systems.
- Technical expertise in specialized geotechnical software (e.g. GeoStudio, Rocsience, etc.).
- Work experience in mining or resource industries is an asset.
- Ability to conduct work in a safe manner maintaining a high degree of situational awareness.
- Open mind and bias self-awareness to participate in the adaptation and implementation of new technology initiatives to advance our technical practice.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD’s degree in geotechnical, geological, or civil or mining engineering.
- 10 years industry or consulting experience.
- Valid Class 5 Driver's License and satisfactory Driver's Abstract, per Stantec's Safe Driving Policy.
- P.Eng. registered or eligible for registration with Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC) or Alberta Professional Engineers Geoscientists Association (APEGA) is an asset.
- Membership of professional bodies related to geotechnical engineering, tailing/water dams, and international mining is an asset.
This position may have additional qualification requirements depending on work assignments. Additional qualifications will be defined in Project Specific Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Plans.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1695 Mining-CA Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 15, 2023, 12:42:38 PM
Req ID: 230004IZ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans