Senior Geotechnical Engineer
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Geotechnical Engineer - ( 230000IV )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a great team. When we say that we’re full-service, we mean it. You’ll find us in the office, on-site, and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. Join our team today!
Stantec is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our Geotechnical Business Line Canada. The successful candidate will focus on technical and managerial leadership for dams, reservoirs, dykes, spillways and hydropower projects, and collaborate with our established teams and experts within Canada and our global operations. This position offers an excellent opportunity for individuals who are looking for their next phase in their career and seek career advancement. The role will require active collaboration with Stantec’s current leadership.
The location of the role is flexible across key locations in Canada (Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Greater Toronto Area, Montreal, Halifax / Dartmouth). Other locations will be considered. Flexible working arrangements will be considered depending on location and experience.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide senior technical leadership and advisory services for the design, analysis, and construction of dams, reservoirs, dyke, spillways and hydropower projects across Canada.
- Contribute to ongoing market expansion initiatives and develop Stantec’s profile within the industry.
- Lead or participate in site characterization, development of engineering geological models, geotechnical investigations, seismic hazard assessments, and geohazard assessments.
- Lead or participate in digitization initiatives, advanced numerical modelling, market research and research-development of emerging technologies. Focus on climate change adaptation, risk and liability reduction, and aging dams.
- Manage and coordinate geotechnical-focused and multi-disciplinary projects commensurate with experience and capabilities.
- Lead or participate in Dam Safety Reviews in accordance with the Canadian Dam Association Guidelines.
- Undertake inspections of dams, reservoirs, dyke, spillways and hydropower projects.
- Collaborate and actively participate in account management, client relationships, business development, and the development of proposals.
- Actively participate in Stantec’s risk management and quality procedures.
- Lead by example for Stantec’s Health and Safety Framework.
- Build collaborative, respectful and effective relationships within Stantec’s other business lines, business centres, technical delivery groups, and key individuals.
- Provide quality and independent reviews of project deliverables.
- Mentor and coach junior and intermediate staff members.
- Willingness to travel within Canada or globally, as required for projects, management and business development.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to generate sustainable work within Stantec and from external clients.
- Strong people skills with an ability to be collaborative, work effectively within a team environment; understand different personality traits and champion emotional intelligence.
- Strong technical and analytical skills.
- Excellent managerial skills such as organization, report writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Proven social skills and willingness to communicate with clients, sub-consultants, contractors, and different business lines and sectors within Stantec.
- Practical knowledge and proficiency with typical civil and geotechnical software (CIVIL3D, GeoStudio™, LeapFrog, Rocscience).
- Practical knowledge, proficiency and an ability to review advanced numerical modelling software (FLAC, Plaxis).
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Established industry profile and understanding of the local and global markets.
- Activate participation in professional associations.
- Active contributor to technical papers, conference proceedings, committees and technical working groups.
- Detailed knowledge of the geotechnical and geological aspects of dam engineering for embankment, rockfill and concrete dams; concrete-rock interface of dams, dam safety; risk assessment; and the design, construction and operation of spillways, intakes, low-level outlets and water management assets.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of geohazards related to dam foundations and reservoir rims.
- Working knowledge of other disciplines within dam engineering and dam safety (structural, hydrotechnical, mechanical, electrical).
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Geological, Civil or Geotechnical Engineering, from a recognized university.
- Post graduate degree (MSc) or doctorate in Geological, Geotechnical or Civil Engineering would be an asset.
- Minimum of 20 years’ experience.
- Professional Engineer in good standing.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth, Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg, Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver, Canada-Ontario-Toronto, Canada-Quebec-Montréal
Organization : BC-1233 Environmental Services-GE-CA Alberta South
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 3, 2023, 8:23:10 AM
Req ID: 230000IV
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans