Senior Geochemist / Water Quality Specialist
City : Calgary
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Geochemist / Water Quality Specialist - ( 230001BW )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec has an opportunity for an intermediate to senior level Geochemist / Water Quality Specialist to join our Environmental Services team in Canada. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to geochemistry water quality and hydrogeology field programs, data analysis, geochemical modeling, technical reporting and other activities for a variety of projects, with a focus on mining. Stantec is focused on growing our mining sector team in central Canada. We currently provide a comprehensive suite of services to mining clients through all stages of project assessment and resource development, project approvals, operations support and closure/reclamation.
This position can work remotely from anywhere in Canada, but have a preference for Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Ontario offices.
Your Key Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities will be related to performing key tasks to support geochemical and water quality components of projects. Responsibilities are anticipated to include but are not limited to the following:
- Promote a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment Program.
- Preparing proposals, developing work plans and budgets and management of projects/tasks.
- Developing conceptual and analytical geochemical, water balance and water quality models.
- Review field information from investigations, preparation of reports including the interpretation of geological/geochemical conditions.
- Interpret geochemical test results including static (acid base accounting, metal leaching) and kinetic (humidity cells and field bins) data.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams on baseline and impact assessment projects, feasibility studies, groundwater and surface water assessments and contaminant investigations and rehabilitation projects.
- Prepare technical reports and client presentations summarizing project work, findings and recommendations.
- Demonstrate sound application of established practices, standards and guidelines.
- Travel as required to various field sites with overnight travel sometimes required.
Your Experience and Capabilities
- Ability to meet a strong demand for high-quality, organized and consistent results.
- Confident individual who demonstrates strong initiative and is capable of independent action with the ability to make informed decisions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and advanced technical report writing skills.
- Time management – balancing immediate and long-term work with varying priorities and deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to make timely decisions.
- Valid driver’s licence is required for business travel.
- Possess a working knowledge of various software for undertaking geochemical and water quantity/quality assessments (e.g., GoldSim, PHREEEQC, or equivalent).
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of Canadian and provincial water quality guidelines, legislation, regulations, guidance, licensing and permitting requirements particularly relating to mining.
- Experience in geochemistry and water balance/water quality related to evaluating metal leaching potential and acid rock drainage (ML/ARD), estimating the quality of mine-water discharge for open pit/underground mine operations, pit lake chemistry and groundwater chemistry for mine projects.
- Ability to manipulate large datasets and good knowledge of common statistical techniques used for environmental data analysis.
- Operating GIS, three-dimensional visualization software (Leapfrog), database software and programming skills is considered an asset.
Education and Credentials
- Minimum of a Master’s degree specializing in geochemistry from a Geoscience or Engineering program.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant working experience in a consulting or regulatory environment, regularly using and analyzing geochemistry data.
- Professional registration or the ability to obtain a professional registration (P. Geo. or P. Eng.) is required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Other Locations : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth, Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver, Canada-Ontario-Toronto, Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton, Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's, Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Ontario-Markham, Canada-Ontario-Ottawa, Canada-Alberta-Edmonton, Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby, Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1114 EnvSvcs-CA Prairies & Territories
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Aug 18, 2023, 10:12:42 AM
Req ID: 230001BW
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans