Senior Gameplay Designer– Gears of War – The Coalition
City : Vancouver
Category : See Posting
Industry : Technology
Employer : Microsoft
The Coalition is a Microsoft first-party development studio located in Vancouver, Canada. We are the official home of the Gears of War franchise, and our objective is to forge the future of the IP and push the limits of Microsoft’s entertainment platforms and devices. Our team is comprised of deep creative and technical talent from across our industry and beyond, working cohesively to delight our fan base and pass expectations of what is possible. As a studio, we lead from our values and work together to promote respect and inclusion, a growth mindset, G.R.I.T (Guts, Resourcefulness, Initiative & Tenacity), all while putting our team first! Join us and let’s go far together!
The Coalition is seeking a skilled and experienced gameplay designer to help create AAA game experiences. We are searching for candidates with experience in Character, Camera and Controls (3Cs), or artificial intelligence (AI) systems. You have experience owning large scale features and guiding them from initial concept through to polish and completion. You will drive implementation of your design through collaboration across disciplines. We’re looking for a candidate who is creative, self-motivated and able to adapt to various modes of design work from high-level concepts to low-level tuning and balancing.
- Work closely with Creative Director/Lead Designers on game design initiatives and features
- Take ownership of major gameplay features from concept through to delivery
- Define and drive the design, requirements and priorities
- Create and maintain high quality design documentation
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team to realize and iterate on designs
- Work closely with production to assist and provide feedback on high level plans and schedules
- Inspire those around you to strive for the most fun and exciting player experience
- Degree in Art, Game Design, or related field AND 4+ years relevant internship/work experience OR equivalent experience
- 2+ years' experience in Character, Camera and Controls (3Cs), or artificial intelligence (AI) systems
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid game design foundation
- Creative and analytical with a keen eye for detail
- Proven experience designing game features and mechanics
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.