City : Calgary
Category : Full-time
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Shaw
A little about us
What we do at Shaw matters - in a world where being connected has never been more critical, we bring the best wireline and wireless technology and solutions together to create exceptional customer experiences. Every day we help millions of Canadians live their best-connected lives through the strength, capacity and combined power of our Fast LTE and Fibre+ networks.
At Shaw we say we’re brighter together, and we believe it’s the diverse mix of brilliant people here that really makes us shine. When you join our team, you’ll see we are so much more than just a company. Shaw connects you with limitless opportunity, an incredible culture, career development and a great benefits package. We are a friendly, collaborative group, and we have a lot of fun finding new ways to delight our customers.
Come dream bigger and brighter with Shaw.
The Finance team is currently seeking a Senior Financial Analyst to join their team. This position reports to Manager, Commercial Finance, Business. The successful candidate will be part of the Commercial Finance team and will be a strong financial business partner with our Sales, Product, Marketing and Base Management leaders, accountable for delivering timely, accurate and relevant financial/business analysis, using data to deepen financial insight into drivers of value for their business unit and support information-based decision making. This role will also be responsible for preparing and analyzing results and trends, month-end reporting, forecasting & budget. This role requires skillful collaboration and partnering with cross-departmental stakeholders, presentation of monthly financial & operational results with detailed variance analysis and KPI development.
A typical day
• Propel strategic business priorities through seamless integration of financial analysis to build capability and accelerate business unit effectiveness (focus on investments and spend).
• Provide analytical, business case, ROI and modelling support for key initiatives to manage performance in line with objectives.
• Support development of KPIs and results dashboards as required by business leaders, finance, operations, sales and marketing
• Prepare management reporting package for business partners and senior leadership
• Work with cross-functional teams to deliver analyses, insights, and documents in support of a wide range of company-wide initiatives with strategic impact
• Proactive identification of risk and potential mitigation strategies
• Support ad hoc requests/projects from the business Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting
• Support the timely and accurate development of the annual operating plan in partnership with business units.
• Support leadership in planning and projecting future performance using a combination of top-down and customer-up approaches and scenario-based views.
• Develop and analyze monthly forecast and annual budgets for the business units, with attention to detail and the ability to challenge inputs and assumptions
• Establish close working relationships with department leaders to understand cost drivers, share monthly results, including performance against plan, while also collecting information for input into forecasting model(s)
• Ensure forecasts and plans are robust, accurate and timely, reflecting the strategic direction of the business units
• Conduct variance analysis and report financial results to management (weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually) between actual, budget and forecast numbers and provide insights into the implication and impact on the business Organizational Development
• Support the financial acumen of business unit teams through close personal engagement
• Collaborate on Finance projects and continuous improvement activities to enhance, introduce or replace processes and systems, including business and process analysis
• Perform other job duties as assigned
• Degree in Accounting or Finance
• Profession Finance designation (CPA or CFA)
• MBA would be an asset
• 5+ years’ experience in financial analysis
• Experience developing and analyzing financial models, strong attention to detail, ability to work with complex and sometimes ambiguous data
• Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel (including VBA), Microsoft PowerPoint and overall Microsoft Office applications. Experience with ERP software (Oracle) is an asset.
• Proficient with data visualization tools like Tableau / Power BI or a strong desire to learn
• Self-starter with high standards of performance and a strong desire to learn
• Dynamic and pro-active individual with a strong sense of accountability for problem resolution
• Strong communication skills (both verbal and written). Able to summarize complex data to tell an impactful story to senior management. Able to adapt communication to employees at all levels.
• Able to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team environment.
• Able to influence effectively without authority.
• A positive, "can-do" attitude and customer focused approach to enable you to deal with challenging situations with integrity, empathy, and sincerity.
• Able to work independently, with minimal supervision. Must also demonstrate a sense of urgency commensurate with the needs of business stakeholders.
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal (and credit) background check.
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
Subscribe to our newsletter & stay updated