Senior Financial Analyst, Corporate Accounting & Reporting-20-Month Contract
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Customer Service Representative
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 178340
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
The Senior Financial Analyst is responsible for analyzing information from operation/accounting systems and coordinating with various teams to submit financial statements to the Bank on a monthly and quarterly basis for the legal entity Scotia Capital Inc.and other wholly-owned subsidiaries and affiliates. Critical accounting tasks include ensuring the integrity of various reporting packages for both Bank and regulatory reporting delieverables, with focus on completeness, validity and accuracy as well as maintaining fixed assets subledger system, performing accounting activities related to month-end close and reconciliation of key control accounts. The Bank’s monthly and quarterly reporting schedule – both for internal and external reporting, is very demanding. Overtime is often required to ensure that all deadlines for period-end deliverables are met.
Is this role right for you? In this role, you will:
Prepare financial statements for Regulatory and Statutory Financial Reporting Purposes
- Export daily bank statements and transaction activities for 3 accounts and reconcile bank balances to General Ledger (PeopleSoft) and Broadridge balances
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements for Scotia Wealth Insurance Services Inc., Scotia Real Estate Inc., and Scotia Commodities Inc.
- Prepare audit schedules, note disclosures and requests for management and audit review
Perform month-end closing accounting activities and monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts
- Prepare monthly journal entries and reports to support month-end departmental deadlines
- Prepare EGL journals for pledged assets, client balances and other off-book adjustments
- Review and analyse trial balance for erroneous PRC entries and submit to Payment Operations for journal entries correction
- Maintain and produce monthly reconciliations for various assigned key control accounts
- Complete monthly general ledger leadsheets and identify variances as required from Regulatory and Compliance department
Responsible for fixed assets sub-ledger management (WorthIT)
- Submit approved invoices received from Real Estate department into PRC for payment processing. Allocate invoices to expense/capital expenditure GL accounts and process PeopleSoft journal entry
- Import fixed assets additions from PeopleSoft to WorthIT database
- Prepare Depreciation entries for upload into PeopleSoft system
- Prepare Reconciliation Report showing the difference in Fixed Assets Balance between WorthIT and PeopleSoft; analysing and resolving the differences if any
Responsible for booking of SCI litigation and client complaint provisions
- Update and maintain Legal Provisions schedule for newly initiated provisions, settlement payments or cancelled provisions and compare with report provided and signed by Legal Department
- Provide list of new events or changes on a quarterly basis to Global Operational Risk team
Annual Financial Statements for Regulatory and Statutory Reporting
- Provide reliable financial information, analyses and other support as required by senior management and for audit purposes
- Preparation of note disclosures for the annual audited financial statements
- Communicate with auditors from time to time to explain various procedures and respond to queries
Provide reliable financial information, analysis and other support required for departmental deadlines, senior management and audits
- Identify potential impact of changes/initiatives and provide appropriate feedback or recommendation
- Communicate with both internal and external auditors to explain various procedures and respond to queries
- Respond to ad-hoc financial projects as assigned
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? - We'd love to work with you if you have:
- Requires equivalent of an university degree and an accounting designation along with several years of working experience in an investment or financial institution industry
- Solid background in accounting is essential to comprehend, interpret and compile complex projects, together with proven organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to a number of conflicting deadlines and quickly grasp and work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills to communicate (written and verbal) across variety levels of management, both internal and external
- Strong PC skills and working knowledge of the various operating systems used in the day to day operations of a Finance Department (PeopleSoft Financials, Broadridge, OBI, SmartView, Excel, Microsoft Office)
What’s in it for you?
- An inclusive & collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We offer a competitive rewards package: Performance bonus, Employee Share Ownership Program, and Pension Plan Matching, Health Benefits from day one!
- Your career matters! You will have access to career development and progression opportunities.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.