Senior Environmental Specalist
City : Halifax
Category : Legal, Compliance & Audit
Industry : Transportation equipment manufacturing
Employer : J.D. Irving
SENIOR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding is proud to be Canada’s National Shipbuilder. Over the next 30 years, our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of the largest defence procurement project in Canadian history.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on these vessels. We are committed to building the best ships, with the best workforce in the best facilities. By joining our team of more than 2,300 shipbuilders, you can enjoy a dynamic, diverse, and family-friendly career with a company dedicated to your success, learning, health, wellness, and safety.
At Irving Shipbuilding, we’re making history – why not make it with us? Learn more about careers at Irving Shipbuilding: shipsforcanada.ca/opportunities.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Senior Environmental Specialist.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons, and persons of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact email@example.com.
o Bachelor’s Degree in an Environmental field (i.e., Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science) required
o Master’s degree in an Environmental field (i.e., Environmental Science or Management Systems) considered an asset
o Eligibility for registration as either: a PTech/CET with Canadian Provincial professional technologist associations, or an EIT with Canadian Provincial professional engineering associations as Licensed to Practice (or with an Engineering Association in another Canadian jurisdiction with the ability to transfer their registration to Nova Scotia)
o 5-8+ years Direct Environmental Experience in an industrial setting (i.e. shipbuilding, manufacturing plant, mining, oil and gas)
o 5-8+ years’ experience in some of the following areas is required:
§ Environmental Incident response/ reporting
§ TDG regulations and environmental legislation (Municipal, Provincial and Federal levels)
§ Wastewater treatment operation
§ GHG/NPRI reporting
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
· Promote and support the Environmental Management plan and Environmental Management System amongst other key environmental documentation (standard operating procedures, work instructions, DPS, awareness/signage, etc).
· Effective direction and maintenance of the Environmental Management components of the four ISI sites to ensure that ISI meets or exceeds customer expectations as a world class shipyard.
· Develop, implement, and maintain various testing/sampling methodology that meet the requirements for accuracy, repeatability, and due diligence.
· Oversee various testing/sampling, such as air/water etc., to confirm compliance with environmental regulations and local by-laws.
· Collects, analyzes, and presents environmental data collected from various sources, both internal & external, and presents to Senior Leadership.
· Ensure provincial/federal regulatory compliance through interpreting and applying applicable regulations and legislation.
· Monitor and review regulations and legislation as necessary to maintain compliance with all relevant regulatory and internal requirements.
· Actively participate in Continuous Improvement programs to drive improvement in the environmental procedures/programs at the ISI sites.
· Provide guidance to 3rd party contractors on the development of ISI environmental reports/documents.
· Interact with 3rd party contractors and other stakeholders to ensure professional relationships are maintained.
· Assist in developing crucial environmental management documentation including Environmental Emergency Plan, High Hazard Plans, National Pollutant Release Inventory Reporting, and other internal environmental documentation.
· Support and maintain daily environmental on-site requirements including operation of the WWTP, management of the hazardous materials facility, spill response/training.
· Manages/coordinates audit preparations for external audits/inspections and assists in conducting internal environmental inspections.
· Identifies and assesses environmental features, constraints, alternatives, potential environmental effects, mitigation measures and avoidance opportunities.
· Develops and implements corrective actions and controls and communicates to production managers/supervisors as necessary.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
· A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan
· Employee & Family Assistance Programs
· RRSP matching program
· Health & Wellness reimbursements
· Opportunities to take part in job related training and development.
· Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies
· Relocation costs (if eligible)
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.