Senior Electrical Engineer, Renewables
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Electrical Engineer, Renewables - ( 230004DV )
Stantec’s Energy team is designing the solutions our world needs now. We’re a leader in the energy transition. We deliver iconic infrastructure projects including some of the world’s largest dams, large-scale renewable energy facilities and the most geographically challenging conventional energy facilities. We are pushing the boundaries of clean energy and grid modernization. We’re releasing the power of hydrogen and capturing and storing carbon.
We’ve built a flexible work environment focused on your career goals and aspirations. You’ll find yourself working with leaders in power delivery, thermal generation, heavy industrial, and renewable energy at one of the world’s top 10 design firms.
Join a team that leaves you #FeelingEnergized and make an impact that will last generations.
This position will be considered in any location in the United States or Canada with a Stantec presence.
We are seeking a Senior Renewables Electrical Engineer for our growing renewables team to support renewables projects around the globe. You will have the opportunity to lead the electrical design for large utility-scale renewable projects including conceptual and detailed design of all electrical systems including site layouts, electrical balance of plant, AC and DC collection systems, substation, protection and control, and interconnection.
In this role you will support our culture of both internal and external client service, build our technical strength in understanding and anticipating client needs and expectations, execute strategies to advance the client’s project objectives and manage risk, establish priorities, promote alignment the project team, and resolve emergent problems.
You will have the chance to work in a multi-discipline team executing projects in our rapidly growing and evolving Renewable Energy sector where we are helping lead energy transition projects worldwide.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Evaluate, select, specify, and design applicable electrical engineered systems or products required for the project.
- Engage in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats including 3D design tools.
- Accountable for overall project electrical design; prioritizing quality while meeting deliverable deadlines, monitoring project scope, and adhering to project budgets.
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentoring to junior staff.
- Lead project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Participate/Lead client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Support / lead technical sections of assigned pursuits.
- Develop and manages the project scope, budget, design approach, staffing and schedule for projects of varying sizes and complexities in coordination with the project manager.
- Design electrical power systems ranging from 120V to 35kV.
- Lead the electrical design on renewables and other energy projects of varying sizes and complexities, including solar photovoltaic (PV), Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), wind generation, combustion generation, standby power, and knowledge of associated microgrid design principles.
- Lead the development of electrical design deliverables such as single line drawings, elementary and wiring diagrams, equipment specifications (including transformers, MCC (Motor Control Center), switchgear, substation equipment); power plans, conduit plans, cable schedules, system studies and protective relay settings.
- Coordinate across disciplines within the project team to facilitate development of deliverables.
- Lead / contribute to the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction support documents.
- Conduct quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assist in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Contribute to our culture of continuous improvement by sharing lessons learned.
- Support Leadership in resource management processes, recruitment, succession planning.
- Achieve personal targets as agreed on annually.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Self-starter, skilled and experienced in navigating engineering design concerns and developing project scope documents, technical reports, cost estimating and project proposals.
- Comprehensive understanding of design standards and codes related to renewables and for electrical power systems.
- Experienced with the Point of Interconnection (POI) requirements, and electrical system studies for both Distribution and Transmission connected Renewables projects.
- Knowledge of industry standards and electrical engineering design principles.
- Experience in developing all phases of renewable engineering design packages.
- Knowledge of renewable energy systems, including photovoltaic (PV), Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), and microgrids. Experience with Onshore Wind, Offshore Wind and other forms of conventional generation would be an asset.
- Familiar with design and operation of power systems ranging from 120V to 35kV.
- Knowledge, interpretation, and application of Canadian Electrical Code, National Electrical Code, and applicable energy codes.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD is an asset.
- Proficient in the Microsoft 365 platform including Teams and SharePoint. Expert skills in Microsoft Excel is beneficial.
- Experience and proficiency using ETAP, PVSys, PVCase, HelioScope and Homer would be beneficial.
- Presentation and interview skills is an asset.
- Team player, collaborator with interpersonal skills with experience in managing and coordinating people.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills and aptitude for problem solving and willing to have challenging conversations.
Education and Experience
- Preferred B.S. or Engineering Technologist in Electrical, or related fields.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working on engineering design projects and 7 years working on utility scale renewables projects and 3 years leading electrical design for utility scale solar and BESS projects.
- Ability to be registered as a P.Eng., PE or certified engineering technologist is preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada
Organization : BC-1560 Energy-CA Management
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 25, 2023, 9:17:50 AM
Req ID: 230004DV
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans