Senior Distribution Engineer
City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Distribution Engineer - ( 230001N5 )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
We put the engine in buildings engineering. Intelligent design. Innovative execution. These are the elements of buildings engineering that rev us up. With decades of experience under our belts, we’re achieving remarkable results with our work in building technologies, energy, and environmental performance. Our team of interdisciplinary consultants works collaboratively with clients and contractors to deliver buildings and processes that are on track for safety, performance, and sustainability.
For both public and private sector clients, we provide unique high-performance engineering design solutions from small scale commercial fit-out projects to billion-dollar state of the art health care facilities.
Stantec in Alberta has an exciting opportunity for a Electrical Engineer to join our established Western Canadian Leadership Team within our Buildings Engineering Practice in Edmonton. While the opportunity is based out of Edmonton, project locations throughout Alberta and Western Canada including British Columbia, the Prairie Provinces as well as the Northern Territories may require travel for short periods. Remote work strategies may be considered based on project requirements and direct supervisor approval.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Managing and delivering Electrical Engineering Services on a diverse portfolio of project assignments for valued clients throughout Alberta and cross Western Canada extending into buildings, Transportation, urban land, and Energy.
- Proactively plan and manage the delivery of Electrical Engineering Services on projects with a focus on accurate scope management, technical excellence / innovation, quality assurance / quality control as well as adherence to schedule and budget drivers.
- Preparation of Technical Engineering Design Reports specific to key Building Electrical Systems including Power Distribution, site lighting, telecommunication, and
- Preparation of underground utility systems specifically around underground residential developments in Fortis, BC Hydro, and EPCOR service areas.
- Prepare designs associated with exterior lighting designs, including the adoption of IES recommended practices for transportation and economic corridors
- Prepare and support large projects of a variety of utility relocation projects.
- Develop Electrical Engineering Designs and associated Drawings and Specifications suitable for both tender and construction.
- Enhanced knowledge and experience in comparison of electrical systems including value / life cycle cost analysis.
- Create and lead strong and diverse technical teams for the delivery of Electrical Engineering Services on projects. May develop to formal direct supervision of assigned staff.
- Develop and mentor intermediate and junior staff through effective communication and strong leadership to promote career progression.
- Promote strong team work ethic through collaboration.
- Work collaboratively to support the Alberta Building Engineering Team and wider North American Building Engineering Team to develop and implement programs and procedures affecting Electrical Engineering for Vertical Construction Projects.
- Lead business development opportunities with the integrated architecture and engineering teams at Stantec and externally
- Develop electrical engineering scopes of services, workplans and associated fee estimates.
- Lead electrical engineering pursuits from inception to successful contract award.
- Develop strong client relationships through proactive business development and marketing efforts as well as through exceptional delivery of projects and associated deliverables.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- In depth understanding and experience in the evaluation and assessment of electrical systems (power, lighting and utilities) with direct field related experience.
- Detailed knowledge of IEEE and IES guidelines and standards. Active membership in either / both associations is preferred.
- Knowledge of professional services procurement processes including both Consultant and Construction Contracts including alternative delivery, construction management.
- Knowledge of cost and scheduling control techniques and ability to apply same to construction projects.
- Excellent computer skills (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Bluebeam, Adobe Acrobat, etc.)
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing is required with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to qualify for security clearance based on client requirements.
- Must be self-sufficient and self-motivated
- Ability to Multi-Task. Note that this position requires the successful candidate to work on multiple projects at once all at varying stages of design / construction. As well with today’s construction industry dates for project and system turnover are always changing and the ability to adapt to these schedule changes is a prime asset for this role.
- Valid 5 Class driver’s license
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical field. Professional Engineering designation in Alberta along with membership in good standing with APEGA is preferred however Graduates of a Technical Program (NAIT, SAIT or similar institution) with a strong and balanced experience base and equivalent accreditation will be given equal consideration.
- Preferred ten years of related work experience in the Engineering Design of Electrical Systems specific to transportation, utility, or urban land fields of work.
- Prior experience in Project and Financial Management is a strong asset.
Committed to the principles of Employment Equity, we thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. This position will include both in office and at home work, under a hybrid environment to be considered after initial on boarding and discussion with supervisor.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Organization : BC-1153 Buildings-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 20, 2023, 7:58:25 AM
Req ID: 230001N5
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans