Senior Design Engineer, Bridges
City : Oakville, ON
Category : T&I - Highways, Bridges & Roads
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
We are seeking Senior Design Engineers to join our Bridge Group. This role provides technical leadership in the design and delivery of transportation projects, including: highway, transit, pedestrian bridges; retaining walls; culverts; over-height damage repairs; inspections and testing; and unique structures. Duties include project management, analysis, design, inspection, evaluation, cost estimating, tender document preparation, and construction technical support.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
Your primary responsibilities will include :
- Management of Complex and Standard bridge projects;
- Conceptual, preliminary, and detailed design of bridges, culverts, retaining walls, and other civil structures;
- Bridge inspections, assessment, and rehabilitation design;
- Quantities and construction cost estimates;
- Independent Review and Quality Assurance of designs and drawings;
- Specifications and contract document preparation;
- Review of shop drawings and field technical support of bridge construction;
- Provide leadership and mentoring to a team of technical staff delivering transportation projects;
- Assist with leadership and expertise re: client management.
- Preparation of reports and proposals;
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Solid leadership and communication abilities, notably capable of inspiring, engaging, and influencing a high caliber team to drive to high performance levels and seize the opportunities presented internally and in the market, to the benefit of a wide body of stakeholders (including, but not limited to: clients, employees, shareholders, partners, suppliers, and society at large);
- University degree in Civil Engineering with a specialization in the field of bridge structures;
- Professional Engineer licence in Ontario
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in an engineering capacity on detailed design assignments for bridges
- Superior technical understanding, design abilities, and current on bridge technologies;
- Working knowledge of structural analysis software used in bridge design such as CSIBridge, MIDAS, etc;
- Specific areas of expertise required are in the planning, preliminary and detailed design, and construction of bridges of standard and complex geometry;
- A thorough knowledge of current design codes (CAN/CSA-S6) and standards is essential;
- Experience with inspection, assessment, and rehabilitation of existing structures;
- Experience with field review and inspection during construction;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively (verbally, written, and executive presentations) with internal and external clients and stakeholders, and build well-developed teams and positive relationships; and,
- Excellent technical, interpersonal and teamwork skills.