Senior Data Solutions Designer
City : North York
Category : Full-time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Sun Life Financial
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced and high-performing person to join our Data Processing & Solutions, Corporate IT team as a Sr Data Solutions Designer. This technical leadership role is responsible for designing critical data systems in consultation with Sun Life’s Business and Technology partners, including the holistic alignment of technologies, standards, and practices that enable SLF to deliver world class data and analytical systems.
The Data Processing & Solutions team in Corporate IT is an evolving group leading SLF in the application of leading-edge solutions against SLF business opportunities. Our team is diverse and inclusive and value the variety of background and experience in all aspects of the role.
What will you do?
- Provide leadership on the design of robust and efficient data applications and standards.
- Apply best practices to all solution design areas, including on premise, AWS, or a combination. This includes areas such as Operational Excellence, Security, Reliability, Performance Efficiency, and Cost Optimization.
- Mentor other data systems designers, both within your team and within other Technology or Business units, to support solution development and application of best practices.
- Enable the expansion of the Data Processing & Solutions team’s excellence through education support, and open discussions on data challenges and opportunities.
- Provide high level estimates for project proposals and solution designs.
- Work closely with key client and IT stakeholders in understanding business needs and recommend solutions.
- Integrate with project teams according to Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology for either waterfall, lean or agile projects.
- Provides consultation for the evaluation of complex data and software systems.
- Build and manage effective working relationships with other departments, groups, or personnel.
What do you need to succeed?
- 5-10 years of build/design experience related to data service design and implementation.
- Experience in designing solutions for data warehouse system integrations.
- Excellent documentation skills including technical writing, Visio, PowerPoint, flowcharting (5+ years)
- Experience with productionizing services at scale and related change management.
- Strong understanding of AWS core data services and data service design patterns, or a proven desire and ability to learn AWS services (core accountability of the role).
- Experience with Business Intelligence overall design
- Experience with Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, and Informatica PowerCenter & IICS usage.
- Experience building integrated systems from on premise to cloud-based infrastructures.
- Experience with Big Data technologies (Hadoop, Cassandra, Redshift, etc.).
- Extremely strong communication, critical thinking, and analytical skills. This includes skills such as conceptual requirements interpretation, solution creation, and problem-solving abilities.
- Solution and delivery oriented with ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Resourceful, organized and independent self-starter with an enquiring mind.
- Conceptual thinker with ability to understand business objectives and translate into business solutions.
- Excellent collaboration and leadership skills, a proven ability to adapt to challenges, and a strong interest in coaching and mentoring colleagues.
- Experience with project management and software development life cycle /SDLC; waterfall, lean and agile
This role requires Canadian Enhanced Reliability Security clearance [a minimum of 5 years of consecutive residency in Canada].
What’s in it for you:
- Great Place to Work® Certified in Canada and the US - 2022
- Great Place to Work® award for Best Workplaces for #HybridWork.
- 2022 Named “Best Places to Work” by Glassdoor - 2021
- Canada Award for Excellence for Mental Health at Work
- 2021 Flexible hybrid work model including in-country work-from-home if you prefer.
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security.
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range:80,000/80 000 - 130,400/130 400
Job Category:IT - Technology Services
Posting End Date:05/10/2023