Senior Data Engineer
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Data Engineer - ( 2200017W )
Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that works behind the scenes to support operational excellence. As part of the Innovation Office, the Digital Technology & Innovation team is composed of digital experts who conduct research and development to keep our teams and our client’s projects ahead of the technological curve. They implement established technologies and find emerging solutions for all business lines (Buildings, Energy & Resources, Environmental Services, Infrastructure, and Water), bridging existing knowledge domains and facilitating the integration of powerful tools and methods. The team’s goal is to make projects more efficient and help provide higher-quality results to our clients. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, a critical thinker, and highly interested in the application of new technologies and methods. The candidate will become a member of the Innovation Office, however, he or she will also be accessible to Stantec’s project teams to support project work as needed.
The Innovation Office’s Digital Technology & Innovation (DTI) team has an opportunity for a Senior Data Engineer. This position requires a person who is technically savvy, experienced in data engineering, and enjoys working with data to solve business problems, shaping & creating solutions, and helping to champion implementation. As a member of the Innovation Office, the Digital Technology Development group, as part of the DTI team, also engages in research & development and provides guidance and oversight as a center of excellence for the business. This group also engages in new product research and testing and the incubation of new ideas. The candidate will be responsible for the delivery of professional services and will recommend solutions to achieve complex strategic objectives across our large global team spanning Stantec IT, Business Lines, and the Office of Innovation.
Your Key Responsibilities
Serve at the direction of the Digital Technology Development Leader to:
- Take ownership of the project, work independently in a team environment, and mentor others as needed.
- A passion for solving problems and providing workable solutions, flexible to learn new technologies to meet the business needs.
- Translate complex functional and technical requirements into detailed designs.
- Design, develop, adapt, and maintain data warehouse architecture and relational databases that support data mining.
- Implement access governance of production data systems to ensure compliance with our privacy and security policies.
- Oversee, design, and develop algorithms for real-time data processing within the business units and to create the frameworks that enable quick and efficient data acquisition.
- Build and maintain best practices to support the Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD) of data engineering solutions.
- Build, test and operate stable, scalable data pipelines that cleanse, structure and integrate disparate data sets (batch and stream data) into a readable and accessible format for end-user facing reports, data science, and ad-hoc analyses.
- Build and maintain reliable and scalable ETL on big data platforms as well as work with varied forms of data infrastructure inclusive of relational databases and NoSQL databases.
- Work collaboratively with DTI’s Data & Analytics group, Stantec’s internal business units, and clients to define problem statements, collect data and define solution approaches.
- Deliver highly reliable software and data pipelines using Software Engineering best practices like automation, version control, continuous integration/continuous delivery, testing, security, etc.
- Possess excellent time-management skills, a thorough understanding of task assignments and schedules, and efficient use of time and available resources.
- Perform other miscellaneous tasks associated with being a member of the Digital Technology & Innovation team and those typical of a data engineer.
Capabilities and Credentials:
- Experience with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Agile Development, SCRUM, or Extreme Programming methodologies.
- Passionate about helping business lines drive their success utilizing data.
- Inquisitive with a desire to ask questions and get a deeper understanding of business and data issues.
- Innovative, ability to imagine new engineering solutions to any problem.
- Confident, able to challenge perceptions and biases of individuals diplomatically at every level of the organization in order to enact improvements.
- Ability to communicate to both technical and non-technical people.
- Ability to effectively organize, plan, prioritize, and manage time and competing priorities.
- Ability to execute highly complex or specialized projects.
- Business-oriented with a solid understanding of business requirements and vernacular.
- Highly detailed when required.
- Stays abreast of current and upcoming technologies and tools.
- Experience and strong knowledge of data warehousing concepts, database (Relational and non-Relational) design and analytics platforms.
- Experience in data modeling, data design and persistence (e.g., data marts, data lakes).
- Experience with working with software engineering best practices for development, including source control systems, automated deployment pipelines like Azure Databricks, Azure Data Factory, Jenkins and DevOps tools like Terraform, Azure DevOps.
- Experience with big data processing, such as Spark and Databricks.
- Experience with streaming solutions, such as Kafka and IoT Hub.
- Experience working with distributed technology tools, including Spark, Scala, Python.
- Experience deploying modern data solutions leveraging components in Azure like Function Apps, Logic Apps, Log Analytics, Data Factory, Data Bricks, Data Lake and more
- Docker experience is preferred.
- Experience with automated security tooling such as vulnerability scanning, intrusion detection and prevention.
- Experience in operating highly available and critical environments.
- Experience with CI/CD tools and pipelines.
- Proficient with Atlassian Suite; Jira and Confluence.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in business, IT, computer science, or another relevant area of study.
- 5 years of experience designing and building reliable, scalable and maintainable data systems.
- 3 years of experience in data modelling and ETL/ELT development.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada
Job : Applications Development
Organization : BC-1290 Innovation-DTI-Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 25, 2022, 1:43:26 PM
Req ID: 2200017W
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans